12/12/12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had an Imperial Blonde Ale on my "To Brew" list since early 2012. I think the 12/12/12 is a perfect excuse to finally get this beer whipped up. Doubt it will be drinkable by that day though...

Maybe I will brew it on 12/12/12 instead.

I think we should be thinking about 2013 though. Unfortuntately, the 13th month is a problem.

Hm, I see no problem at all.

January + December = 13
February + November = 13
March + October = 13
April + September = 13

Well, you get the gist. Really, one could pretty much do this every month for 2013, because some pairing of two of the months is going to add up to 13. ohhhh yeahhhh.... :mug: Though it might present a problem of beer style for each pairing... :D

For the 2013 conundrum:

5 grains 6 hops 7% abv start at 08:09:10 on 11-12-13

Problem solved. problem staying solved.

We could brew something to be shared (that's what the 12-12-12 date is typically for) on 11-12-13. :D I'm hoping to be able to brew a BIG beer within a couple of months (after my move in a couple of weeks). Need to finish nailing down a recipe I've been working on that will use WLP099. I want something that will push it to the limits (25%). :eek: Might involve getting a bigger mash tun, or making a second one and split the grain between them. Otherwise, I'll have to do something else to get to my target range.

We could brew something to be shared (that's what the 12-12-12 date is typically for) on 11-12-13. :D I'm hoping to be able to brew a BIG beer within a couple of months (after my move in a couple of weeks). Need to finish nailing down a recipe I've been working on that will use WLP099. I want something that will push it to the limits (25%). :eek: Might involve getting a bigger mash tun, or making a second one and split the grain between them. Otherwise, I'll have to do something else to get to my target range.

You can try mashing once and then using the runoff as your mash and sparge water for some fresh grain. I know people have done that, but I have no idea what kind of efficiency you can expect from that or how high you can get the gravity by repeating the process.

EDIT: Actually, on second thought I think the ph of the wort would affect its ability to convert the sugars in the remaining grain. Plus, I don't think it's possible to go past a certain level of saturation of sugars.

You can try mashing once and then using the runoff as your mash and sparge water for some fresh grain. I know people have done that, but I have no idea what kind of efficiency you can expect from that or how high you can get the gravity by repeating the process.

I was just looking at making a second mash tun so that the water to grain ratio would be good (and not fill the mash tun too much). I can mash about 28-30 pounds of grain in my current mash tun (a converted keg). If I make another, and split the grist between, I should get a good efficiency and such. Just means I'll need to order another false bottom (NorCal) for the second mash tun. I have everything else needed to make this.

Other option is to get/make a larger mash tun. Only issue there is cost. I'd rather continue to direct fire the mash tun, so that could become an issue. Of course, another issue for having two mash tuns is burners. Right now I have two burners, but only one has the longer legs. I'd end up heating the sparge water on the stove. Maybe do a staggered mash so that by the time I'm sparging one, I can get the second mash tun sparge volume up to temp. Going to be more logisticals if I try to mash like this. My other option is to use other fermenting sugars in the batch. I'll need to offset any drying effect that could have by mashing at a higher temperature (easily done).

I think your best option as far as efficiency and cost is going with a split mash in two vessels.

Cool tradition. In numerology, the number twelve is considered the number of completeness, as reflected in the twelve months of the year, twelve hours of the clock, twelve gods of Olympus, twelve tribes of Israel, twelve apostles of Jesus, the 12 successors of Muhammad in Shia Islam, twelve signs of the Zodiac, twelve eggs in a dozen, etc..... not sure how that would translate into a beer style. But maybe something inline with what beer a greek god would drink, and taking advantage of the cold temperatures, with an OG of 1.048, or 1.060, 1.072, 1.084 etc and FG of 1.012... and other crazy ideas.. okay I'm having way too much fun with this.

As for the 13 problem, the baker's dozen instead of the regular dozen, well there are only (2) Fridays the 13th in (2)013: In September and in December. I'm talking about the superstition and not the movies. I think I'll be very lucky to get the chance to brew on both those days.

I think your best option as far as efficiency and cost is going with a split mash in two vessels.

That's what I was thinking... I do have 9# of honey that was a mid-season harvest, so it's really light in color and very low in flavors (couldn't really detect any in the mead I made with some of it, last time I checked). I was thinking of adding that to the brew to increase the gravity. So maybe a bigger braggot recipe.

Back