adding cinnamon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartidiot

Reaction score
I have a one gallon batch that I'm going to rack to secondary any day now. I want to add cinnamon stick(s) to it. I have never done this before, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips. How much should I add? How long should I leave them in?

Add one 4" stick & let it soak for 5 days, then taste to see if it's enough spice flavour for you; if so, remove the stick, if not leave it in for another 3 days, taste again, go from there. You can tie some sanitized fishing line around it to make it easier to fish out, the stopper will hold it in place.
Regards, GF.

Should the cinnamon be sterilized in any way? I'm trying to figure out how to go about that.

You could drop it into boiling water for a couple minutes, but you'll lose some of the aromatics. You could also spray it with Starsan, but I doubt it'll reach inside the curl on a cinnamon stick. I've just tossed them into the carbouy straight from the spice bottle with no problems at all.

I used to hit caraway seed with Starsan before I put it in, but I don't bother anymore, again, I've always had good results this way. Go with what you think is best and/or what works best for you.
Regards, GF.

on the weekend I mixed 1/2 tsp. cinnamon in with 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup brown sugar for my 2.25 gal batch as a back sweeten. IMO that is too much cinnamon, wish I went the stick method so I might have been able to catch it earlier and avert such a strong taste

Back