Tap handle I am considering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fright101

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just one I was playing with at work.. I may make it in a few different materials.
The top would be made on a Stereolithography and the rest I could make on the mill..Looks like it would work for a member here, eh?

Yoda.jpg

That is easy enuff to do..The stereolith doesn't care what I feed it..It will build it from "abs like" material in layers of .004 thousandths/in at a time.
Now I need to find Vader; a light side and a dark side...LOL
I just need the files to do so..time to go looking :)

What file type do you need?

There are not too many file types I cannot open, as I have a fairly extensive CAD application list at work. Any file type that is typically in the following extentions;

.igs, .iges
.stp, .step
.sat
.x_t, .x_b
.stl <--------- you would typically find these types of files in this format (stereolithography, or 3d printer)
.sldprt
.pkg

There ya go bringing out the star wars geeks... just like me :mug:

I know i saw a much awesome light sabre tap handle here at one point... can't find it though.

I did build two of these by the way (sans the text)...I need to get pics in the next day or so. I have not painted it and I am not sure that I am going to at this time.

Heres the real question, if I was interested would you be willing to make one if I sent you a model and paid for shipping/cost?

Heres the real question, if I was interested would you be willing to make one if I sent you a model and paid for shipping/cost?

A model of what would be my question. I can use this machine for personal use once in awhile, but I cannot use it for production..so I have to be somewhat candid.

Here is a pic of the handle that I made. This material is white..If it was another color, I could take a pic of it..but my camera has an issue with white...Out of 200 photos..this is the ONLY one that is decent..and by decent..I mean you can somewhat see detail.

HPIM4803.jpg

Wouldnt want to put you in trouble with you job, and wouldnt be anything too crazy, just like the idea. Maybe ill look into trying to find an online manufactuerer that will print custom models instead. Still would need to come up with what exactly I would want but got a few ideas in my head already.

I appreciate that- I took the yoda into the software that we have for the FDM and there is a quote button. Out of curiosity, I went ahead and clicked it. Yoda is not worth that much to me at $350.00 ea with plain ABS material. I cannot imagine what some of the other exotic materials would cost. Especially Ultem or Polyphenylsulphone.
As a backstory- The company just got 2 FDM machines. These are the traditional 3D printers. FDM=Fused Deposition Modeling. The machine I built this Yoda with is a SLA. SLA= Stereo Lithography.
The SLA uses a laser to cure a light reactive polymer or resin in very precise layers in a vat. The model is cured to a stainless steel platform on an elevator that drops deeper into the vat by .004in per layer cured.
And for anyone that is curious, there are plans out there to build 3d printers and there are several kits I believe. Makerbot being one.

fright101:

If you need CAD/3D help, let me know. I can get pretty much any file to any other filetype.

I am an ex-ME who does 3D animation just NE of you.

Back