Confused by Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illini17

Reaction score
Sorry, tried to wade through the fermentation sticky but didn't have a ton of luck with this particular oddity for me. Started a beer in the primary six days ago with an OG of 1.050 and have had zero blowoff, to the point that the lid of the bucket doestn't bow up at all from pressure. I checked the gravity today to see if there was SOME movement and it's actually down to 1.015, which is damn close to final. I'm confused...I realize that blowoff isn't always a sign of fermentation, but I can't imagine the beer got down this much in such a short amount of time without any co2 coming out. I was worried I had a sanitation issue, but now I have no clue what happened and I'm a little apprehensive to even bottle eventually. Thoughts? Anyone have experience with this? I've done about ten home brew batches and have never had a situation like this.

PS, the lid was on tight...that was the first thing I checked (and the only explanation I've seen on the board thus far). Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

The CO2 all went out the airlock. you really do not want a blow off to happen. It would cause a huge mess. The lid bowing up to me would be worrisome I'm about to have a bang go off. After you reach FG you know your done. The gravity is the best way to determine fermentation. Once it's fermented by gravity just bottle it.

You use a blow-off tube or an airlock? Not quite sure if you are confusing the two here..

If you have the tinyest crack anywhere co2 will escape from it and you wont see activity.

You sound pretty impatient / curious. Get a glass or plastic carboy or clear plastic bucket next time so you can watch the fermentation go!

If your gravity dropped, then your batch fermented and co2 was produced. I would say your seal was not airtight even if the lid was tight. Alternatives, it went out the airlock or you had sufficient head space in the bucket to contain it. I'm sure it will be fine.

Not every beer your gonna make is gonna need a blow off tube. I made a stout about 5 days ago. There was very little krausen and no airlock activity.. The krausen fell within 24 hours I took a gravity reading on day 3 and it already hit FG. Just because you don't have visable fermentation does not mean it's not taking place.... Yeast are as unpredictable as women...

normal, if the gravity is down the C02 went somewhere. And if it didn't come out of the airlock, then there was a leak somehow no matter how tight you thought that lid was.

Either way, don't worry

I think you also have to realize (as I did) that every problem listed in this forum IS NOT going to happen to you. I read so much about blowoff, that I kept wondering "where's my blowoff?" How come mine is exploding and coating the ceiling? "

This is a great place to learn "how not to" or pick up ideas that "will make it better", but you have to be careful to understand that if you read the "will make it better" parts you'll avoid the problems.

More info needed... What do you mean by zero blow-off? Krausen exiting a blow-off tube? Unless your making a high gravity beer in a small fermenter, you probably won't see this. For example, when I make 5 gallon batches and ferment in a 6.5 gallon bucket, I never get this.

What are you using, airlock or blow-off tube?

You should never really see the lid bowing, unless you weren't using some sort of CO2 release mechanism. Just because you didn't see the bubbling happening, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Sounds to me like your beer has done what it should, and will be just fine. Check your gravity again in a few days and see if it's changed.

In 7 batches so far I have only had one that needed the blowoff assembly. I use better bottles so I have no experience with a bowed lid, but if I saw one bulged I would get very nervous. I think that would be unusual. 6 days seems to be a normal amount of time to see the major portion of fermentation to pass. Most of mine were winding down after 3 or 4 days, but I always leave them alone for at least 2 weeks then take a gravity reading before committing to secondary. Recently I have gone 4 weeks in primary then bottled. I have 2 fermenting now that will get dry hopping at about 3 weeks and bottling at 4 weeks. Haven't decided yet on dry hopping in primary or secondary.

I agree that your beer has fermented normally and will be very good. Wait it out and enjoy.

The OP doesn't know what a blowoff is, clearly. When the airlock is nowhere to be seen, and it looks like your carboy has vomited on itself, the ceiling, and nearby walls, it's a blowoff.

Now, onto the actual question: your yeast produced a LOT of CO2. It absolutely was created and left your bucket.

Oh yea, one more correction: A blowoff is ALWAYS a sign of fermentation!

The CO2 went somewhere. Doesn't really matter where.

I've found with buckets no matter how tight the lid is, sometimes the seal just doesn't sit right and it creates a tiny space for CO2 to vent out. Every once in a while a batch ferments perfectly with no airlock activity. Beer still turns out great. Do not worry.

Thanks all, sounds like I shouldn't be too worried. And yes, I understand blowoff...just using the wrong terminology as I didn't have any activity through the airlock. Like I said, have done a few beers and never seen this. I assumed at some level that co2 had to be released for alcohol to form and there's been no visible signs of this. And BTW, I thought waiting six days to panic a bit WAS being patient, LOL!

At least you didnt worry BEFORE you took gravity readings, so you helped eliminate possible explanations and helped us narrow down the main issue.

Did the airlock have enough liquid in it? Was it a 3 piece or "S" tube?

If a 3 piece does not have enough liquid in it air can pass right through without causing movement.

you could have had a lot of activity over night or something when you weren't looking?

either way, it sounds like its doing its thing. congrats!

My ale pale never bubbles through the airlock but I've learned to determin fermentation activity by comparing the water level differences in the two chambers of the airlock. My ale pale lid has no gasket and doesn't seem to seal well.

Did the airlock have enough liquid in it? Was it a 3 piece or "S" tube?

If a 3 piece does not have enough liquid in it air can pass right through without causing movement.

I'm not actually using an airlock, per se. A year ago, I DID have a blowoff (correct terminology...beer all over my ceiling, LOL!), so now I use a syphon hose that goes from the bucket down to a container of water.

And as for taking gravity readings before posting...that's from reading older questions on this. Still can't believe the amount of activity and knowledge on this forum. Thanks again!

If you had fermentation, c02 was expelled. Maybe your bucket is sealed but the blowoff tube isn't. Nothing a little santitized teflon tape can't fix.

Back