Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhh memories. Milwaukee's Best was my day before payday beer when I was in the Marines. 4 and a half bucks a case at the package goods store on base! It was good to start with what I considered "premium beer" at the time: Miller! Then, after a six of that, you had your buzz on and the Beast didn't seem so bad.

i personally think alot of sierra nevadas nowadays have the same staggeringly bitter amount of hops thrown in them. maybe my palates just not good enough, but i can barely taste the difference between, most. its a shame too when i find a new beer to try an realize they made it, kinda scares me away. i love hops and i love ipa's but something about sierra nevada's hops just unsettles me greatly. i also drink red dog a bit so who knows.
and yes purple haze is a watery fruitish mess

I posted this on another thread earlier. Olde English 800 is truly rancid. If you're dying of thirst and someone offers you an Olympia; die.

I strongly dislike Belgium Wits, but White Rascal from Avery seriously takes the cake. The wife and I still refer to it as hot dog water and now attach expletives the name of the friend who recommended it.

Southern Tier Unearthly IIPA was also truly terrible. Poured out the entire 22 after two sips and offering it to 6 other people who declined. This is bad just cause of style. It's intensely sweet and very syrupy. Can't find the hops through the robitessin

I'm not sure I could pin it down to just one. Rolling Rock is definitely close to the top though. Summer Shandy and Sam Adams Cherry wheat are terrible as well.

Maybe not the worst, but the most disappointing commercial brew I've had recently is Bell's Pale Ale. It just really isn't up to par with some of their other offerings. Taste wise, I'd describe it as a very crisp bottle of bread. I was very turned off by the loose yeast sediment throughout the entire pour.

Dirt Cheap's brand "Dirt Cheap" beer is pretty rancid (for those who don't know, Dirt Cheap is a St. Louis Liquor and Smoke chain). Looks like they use a third party to brew it for them but they control the ingredients and distribution of the beer.

I've actually been working on a 3 gallon extract clone if anyone wants to try it out:

4lbs dirt
4oz yard grass clumps directly from the lawn mower on a moist summer morning
60 min boil adding 1 oz grass at 60,15, and 5. Be sure to stir throughout the boil, you don't want the dirt to clump.
.5 oz grass at flameout.
I'm sure there is enough living organisms in the grass and dirt to accommodate so you can skip the yeast.
primary for 7 days, DH with last .5oz grass in secondary for 14 days, skip the bottles; JAR this bad boy.

Best served luke warm to somebody you dislike. A lot.

EDIT: +1 to Rolling Rock as well. Not a fan at all...

I had a Miller Light draft in a Friday's restaurant in Davenport, Florida. It was my birthday and they had a 2 for 1 draft sale so my Dad bought one for each of us. I can drink pretty much any beer but this was HORRIBLE.

K

local brew pub opened a few months back, bout a 5 mile ride for SWMBO and I, so we head up there couple friday nights ago. First 2 beers (tripel and an IPA) weren't too bad. The second 2 (Robust Porter and a God-knows-what, but it was supposed to be an ESB) were HORRIBLE. the place brews in 15 gal batches, and said they've been way over demanded and way under supplied. The porter was tart, almost like a lambic and the ESB was WAY sweet, probably didn't finish fermenting at the rate he said they were going through their pipeline.

We'll go back. Seem like nice folks (even though our food service was terrible too), but most of all, glad to see someone who's brewing and selling it here in GA. Maybe next time our beer won't suck.

I'm at the airport in Akron right now drinking Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA. Pretty standard ....

However, worst beer goes to Sam Adams Cherry wheat (insert puke emoticon here), and someone mentioned bud light lime. He is freakin right when hes said "I win". That is a god awful beer. It's just so bad, I really don't know what to say. I tried a sip once and will never touch it again. I drink PBR, Miller, alright Steel Reserve is horrible. OE 800, not all that awful, especailly compared to bud light lime.

I love the craft brew revolution, but gosh dang, sometimes $h!t is just straight terrible. Not sure what people are thinking.

back in my college days i bought a case of BEER, generic beer. white can, black lettering, bar code. we thought it was funny at the time. tasted like skunked schlitz.

Mine was back in college as well...i rarely dump a beer. It was either schlitz or schmidts? Horrible! The only other beer I dumped was a dogfishhead 120... I love the dfh 90 though.

I agree with Shipyard Pumpkinhead being horrible. I had it on tap last october and I remember it being somewhat ok. But they I bought a 6 pack to serve at my bday party and wow, it was horrible. I was so embarassed, I apologized to my guests.

Tequiza was also pretty horribly, and while I used to tolerate it, I really can't drink Heineken. It has an aftertaste like vomit. I'm guessing it gets skunked pretty easily due to the green bottles. Also up there is budweiser. I don't mind high life, pbr, etc, but I just can't stand bud.

bud light chelada.. clamato just is not a beer additive. i like a good michelada every now and then, especially on a beach in mexico. But that stuff is horrid.

Wow, college dayz,, didn't get to spend much of those.:rolleyes:. Worst pakie brew was a Shlitz malt liquor. Bought as a rider,, Needless to say, after
one hit, it went out the window.. ;)

I'm at the airport in Akron right now drinking Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA. Pretty standard ....

However, worst beer goes to Sam Adams Cherry wheat (insert puke emoticon here), and someone mentioned bud light lime. He is freakin right when hes said "I win". That is a god awful beer. It's just so bad, I really don't know what to say. I tried a sip once and will never touch it again. I drink PBR, Miller, alright Steel Reserve is horrible. OE 800, not all that awful, especailly compared to bud light lime.

I love the craft brew revolution, but gosh dang, sometimes $h!t is just straight terrible. Not sure what people are thinking.

Gaaaawd,Tried a cherry wheat up north last year.. dumped it...

local brew pub opened a few months back, bout a 5 mile ride for SWMBO and I, so we head up there couple friday nights ago. First 2 beers (tripel and an IPA) weren't too bad. The second 2 (Robust Porter and a God-knows-what, but it was supposed to be an ESB) were HORRIBLE. the place brews in 15 gal batches, and said they've been way over demanded and way under supplied. The porter was tart, almost like a lambic and the ESB was WAY sweet, probably didn't finish fermenting at the rate he said they were going through their pipeline.

We'll go back. Seem like nice folks (even though our food service was terrible too), but most of all, glad to see someone who's brewing and selling it here in GA. Maybe next time our beer won't suck.

Ayup', baby steps i guess.. :D

Sleeman Cream Ale. It was in 1999. I haven't had one since, but it was so bad that I remember it today as my worst beer ever.

Man, the English and Belgian ales sure take a beating on this thread. I've found them to be world class for the most part, but you can find a stinker anywhere if you look. I'm pretty sure I would gag on a Kriek, but I wouldn't call it a bad beer, just not to my taste. I know other people like the sour fruit flavors. We're trying to talk about truly horrid brews here; not styles not to your personal taste.
Off my soapbox now. Thanks all.
Slainte, Mack:rockin:

I'm listing two.

Sam Adams Light and Yuengling Light. To me, these are so far from the regular beers they pretend to be, I won't touch them. Not quite gag reflex inducing but you have to ask yourself why they bother.

I spend a month a year in various 3rd world countries and I'd have to add some of their local beers to the conversation. They always sport a super light pilsner but I don't think with the same eye for detail as western companies plus lack of refrigeration in the sweltering heat, by the time it gets to your mouth you'll wish you ordered a bottled water instead.

Every country has its local worst. I'm in cambodia right now so I'll nominate Anchor beer. Its a lower cost competitor to the disappointing local favorite Angkor beer. Sometimes in restaurants they'll put ice in it. The only selling point is that its cold.

Maybe not the worst, but the most disappointing commercial brew I've had recently is Bell's Pale Ale. It just really isn't up to par with some of their other offerings. Taste wise, I'd describe it as a very crisp bottle of bread. I was very turned off by the loose yeast sediment throughout the entire pour.

I recently bought a bunch of singles which were all pale ales and this one was the worst. Hay in liquid form. Crap.

Only beer I couldn't drink:

Petrus Aged Porter.

I laughed when I read that an earlier dude tried to make a salad dressing out of it. Was it supposed to be a vinegar beer?

Anyone ever try costal fog ipa? It was awful. Tasted like something was actually wrong with it. Like it had gone bad. Took two sips then dumped the rest.

Unfortunately I had bought a 12 pk. I was about to dump it then my wife said something about washing her hair with it :( hope her hair doesn't fall out

For some reason I cant drink a St. Pauly's girl. I did a blind taste test with my (at the time snobby) cousin between Heineken and Milwaukee Best and he couldnt tell the difference.

I dont know about worst commercial beer i've ever had, but my girlfriends roommate (knowing that I enjoyed good beer, and that i brewed) offered me one of her favorites...leinenkugel's berry weiss.

Dear god was it disgusting, tasted like fruit juice mixed with a natty

Worst commercial beer with a reputable name behind it: Natty Greenes Wet Hop Southern Pale Ale. Granted it was during a beer tasting in 90 degree weather, but it tasted like stale urine (no idea what that actually tastes like). Worst overall: Coors Light, alluminum flavored creek water.

Worst commercial beer with a reputable name behind it: Natty Greenes Wet Hop Southern Pale Ale. Granted it was during a beer tasting in 90 degree weather, but it tasted like stale urine (no idea what that actually tastes like). Worst overall: Coors Light, alluminum flavored creek water.

Though Natty Greene's Buckshot is a decent beer. I'll still stick with Big Boss and Roth for good Raleigh beer though.

Back