Batch sparging efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Just finished some Bent Rod Rye - AG. I kept track of each of the runnings just for grins:

First 1.5 gal @ 1.078 117 points 46% of total
2nd 2.0 gal @ 1.037 74 points 30%
3rd 2.5 gal @ 1.024 62 points 24%

5.5 gallons into the fermenter @ 1.046 Efficiency 74%

So, if I had only done one sparge, I would have been at 56%.

Thanks for the analysis. I only do two runnings since I'm using a 10 gallon water cooler.

Would you post your Bent Rod Rye recipe please. I would like to try to create another quaffable brew.

I hit 74% today on a single batch sparge but I could have gotten more. If I had another half gallon of sparge water I'm sure it would have gotten the last bit of sugar to hit 77% or so. The gravity of the last few ounces out of the LT were at 1.024 so I had plenty of sugar. I ended up a little low on volume in the first 40 minutes of boil and added 1/2 gal of plain water... ugh, that could have been sweet wort instead. Oh well.

So are you saying that it is better to batch sparge twice with 2 gal of water than once with 4 gal?

Batch sparging is all about the time!
I single batch sparge in a 60 qrt cooler and I hit around 75% each time.
I plan on 75%, I batch sparge once, then I'm off to the boil.

I could batch 2 or 3 times, but then I may as well fly sparge.....

david_42 said:
So, if I had only done one sparge, I would have been at 56%.

Do you mean one 5.5 gallon sparge instead of a 2 and a 2.5? If so I don't see how you could predict the efficiency. It would depend on too many factors such as how long you let it set for the sparge, how quickly the sugars disolved in the sparge water, etc.

Back