1.045 after one month. Add nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Ok, so my Blackberry honey w/blueberry melomel is at 1.045 after a month. I didn't take an OG reading because I didn't have a hydrometer at the time. Also, when I bewed it, I didn't add nutrient. Should I add some? SHould I just leave it alone?

The sample is good, but it tastes like a sweet red wine.

Thoughts?

Cheesefood said:
Ok, so my Blackberry honey w/blueberry melomel is at 1.045 after a month. I didn't take an OG reading because I didn't have a hydrometer at the time. Also, when I bewed it, I didn't add nutrient. Should I add some? SHould I just leave it alone?

The sample is good, but it tastes like a sweet red wine.

Thoughts?

Well, nutrient can't hurt and might help. I say add it. I'm assuming that you have it at an ok temperature and are using a pretty alcohol tolerant yeast.

A month? That melomel is still a baby! :D:D

Is it still fermenting?

Yes, yeast nutrient won't hurt a thing.

steve

Add a bit of nutrient and stir up the yeast. Move it to a little warmer if need be.

Chances are the yeast are just settling in for the long haul. I did a 2 meads w/ 18 lbs. for 5 gallons at the same time. After 2 months, one read 1.012 and the other 1.050. I kegged them and they have been sitting for about 3 months. I checked the pressure recently, the 1.012 had a little buildup, but nothing unusual. The 1.050 immediately started jetting out of the pressure release, it has definitely continued fermenting.

Pitched some nutrient into it the other day, and WOW did it take off. Big, thick layer of yeast on top. Smell is fantastic. I'm starting to wonder how long it'll last once I get it bottled.

I might buy some carboys just for mead and really amp up my mead production.

FWIW there are a few Recipe Calculators out there geard for Mead.. the one at GotMead.com is the only one that comes to mind without my Favorite Links handy.. You should be able to punch in your fermentables and get an OG that is pretty close.. If you used a decent champigne (sp?) yeast and around 3 - 3.5lb honey per gal you should go down to 1.000 or less assuming they go all the way to their advertised ABV.
Also the higher the ABV the longer it takes to mellow out.. most meads (excepting "Quick Meads") are atleast 6 months more likely 12 months before you would concider drinking.
Welcome to the Mead side of the hobby.. Its every bit as addicting as beer!

SpamDog

Back