Beer Concentrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaster

Reaction score
Alright guys here's my crazy idea. How do you think it would work?

Me and a couple of buddies are planning a canoe trip on the boundary waters. Like a week of canoeing fishing and drinking.

Since we have to do multiple portages, weight is a consideration and enough beer to stay buzzed for a week weighs a lot.

I was thinking about brewing a strong ale like in the 12-15% range and carbing it heavily with the thought that we can dump one in a nalgene bottle and top it up with water from a purifier.

I'd probably use pet bottles so we can burn them.

Is this a stupid idea? I know someone is going to suggest we just drink the strong stuff but most of the guys going are lite drinkers, so this might be a good compromise between something they would drink and shedding 100lb of beer.

Anyone done something like this? Do you think carbing it extra is a bad idea?

I was thinking something like a California common with triple the grain bill, or maybe a dougwiser 3X

Worst case, my fallback position is a handle of whisky.

Supposedly there is a continuation to the IPA creation story. Yes, they made the stronger alcohol beer with more hops to help preserve it on the trip to India. However, once it got there they diluted it. Supposedly it didn't taste very good, but why not try it?!

I sometimes carry a bottle of beer for the first night on the trail on short trips, but when it really comes down to it, I usually hike with Whisky.

take something else that is lighter and more efficient to get inebriated off of, especially while canoeing.

A buddy of mine in grad school developed the 'confusion to weight ratio' theory for alcohol and other inebriating substances for backcountry ski trips (perhaps if he'd spent more time on his studies and less on researching this theory he wouldn't have spent four years for his Masters?). Beer was unfortunately at the low end of the scale, then wine, hard liquor, etc. etc. Canoeing though, you're only carrying the weight for a small portion of the time and just think how much lighter the loads would get as the trip went on.

The Bière de Garde I have in the cabinet is 8% and dilutes quite nicely 50:50 with soda water. Realistically though, something more concentrated is a good idea. I'd be inclined to take rum/bourbon and a couple bottles of sodaclub concentrate.

When i went, i just brought vodka and bourbon, its nice that you can get 1L bottles up in Minnesota so they do fit great in Nalgene bottles. I just mixed my vodka with Kool-aid or Gatorade or whatever the powdered stuff we had was. it worked OK.

I dont see diluting strong beer working very well. If you were ok with it being flat, you could freeze distill it and then "rehydrate" it when you get wherever you were going

Latest posts

Back