yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normeller

Reaction score
I have heard that you can reuse the yeast after taking the beer off the primary fermentor. Can anyone outline this procedure. How long will the yeast remain usable after you harvest it.

Nice read. I have two questions though;
1. when you do this, how long does the yeast keep its viability in the fridge?
2. How many times can you do this (or would it be recomended to do this) with a single strain of yeast? Use the jar of "washed" yeast in a batch and then don't bother trying to wash the same yeast again? Thinking out loud here, but is seems like more than once would be kinda risky on account of contamination. Though I have heard of people pitching a yeast cake as many as 12 times.

1. according to the YWI the water used in washing is deoxygenated and helps extend the shelf life of the washed yeast. IIRC some people have keep it viable for 6 months, but 3 months is where I would quit.
2. each generation of yeast promotes the chance of mutation from the original strain. I have gone 5 generation without a problem.

Back