Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed my 5th batch of this yesterday, 3 PM's and 2 AG's. All prior used WLP-001, though I used Notty for the 1st time (ever) yesterday. Bubbling slowly away in my basement at 66F (sticky therm).

Little or no krausen to speak of yet as of this morning. (pitched at 4:30PM yesterday at 68F)

Curious - was there any noticeable difference (in flavor) between the PM's and AG's?

I have an extract version of this bottled for 3 weeks now. It isn't quite what I was trying for...it resembles a light Pale Ale - like Sierra Nevada but not quite as hoppy. I was hoping for something more crisp and malty and lager-ish. I suspect (hope) it will mellow out with age. Oh, and don't get me wrong, it's good, just not what I was expecting (so far).

mahilly

The only thing I can tell you is the AG hydro sample prior to bottling tasted WAY smoother and had a much more pronounced Cascade nose than the previous PM's. I only bottled the first AG two weeks ago, so I haven't tried one to compare. However, I've got high hopes that the AG version will be worlds different from the PM version. (And the PM version wasn't bad at all, don't get me wrong.)

Wow! This stuff really surprised me. It is really good. I recommend it to any APA drinker that is looking for something to drink while working in the yard.

Went over big time around my house.

So I threw one in the fridge a couple days ago and I have to say the beer is stellar!! Great recipe, though I used Whitbread (wyeast 1099) and I really like how it added some subtle fruity esters which ended up working well with how dry it turned out. Bottle conditioned, weighed out DME for a carb volume of 2.7. I know it's a bit high but it accompanies the light nature of the blonde and the warming weather.

Thanks BM! This is definitely on my "on deck" list to brew again! I want more before I run out!

So I threw one in the fridge a couple days ago and I have to say the beer is stellar!! Great recipe, though I used Whitbread (wyeast 1099) and I really like how it added some subtle fruity esters which ended up working well with how dry it turned out. Bottle conditioned, weighed out DME for a carb volume of 2.7. I know it's a bit high but it accompanies the light nature of the blonde and the warming weather.

Thanks BM! This is definitely on my "on deck" list to brew again! I want more before I run out!

I like the idea of the whitbread yeast. This beer does well with a little fruity tone.

Made this for my neighbor's grad party for his daughter. He thinks it is great.

I think it tastes - well, doesn't taste. Too much like BMC for me to enjoy. I will stick with the IPA I have on tap.:mug:

It is a bit light, but that is what it is. I think it's pretty tasty, but I'd do something different for myself. I brewed it mainly for the BMC drinkers I know, and as a warm weather beer. It works for both of those. It's getting better each day too.

I'm a hop head, but even though the beer is light, you can def taste the hops in it. Not real strong, but not hiding either.

I found that adding an oz or 2 to cascade at flameout gives the recipe plenty of hop flavor but still leaves it light and delicious on a hot day (which is true of the original recipe as well).

I found that adding an oz or 2 to cascade at flameout

I may just make myself sound like a jack$$, but wouldn't adding at flameout only add to aroma? Don't flavoring hops require some actual boiling time (10-30 mins?)

I may just make myself sound like a jack$$, but wouldn't adding at flameout only add to aroma? Don't flavoring hops require some actual boiling time (10-30 mins?)

Even at flame out there is enough heat to extract flavor and aroma.

Even if it was just aroma, flavor and aroma are intrinsically linked. Imagine drinking hot chocolate without the ability to smell it as you sipped. Obviously the "total package" would be lacking.

This should get you a very similar beer:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Can someone convert this to a Partial Mash? I can't wait to try it.

Thank You

I made this extract version and kegged a few days ago. Snuck in a taste last night and it's going to be great - the SWMBO should love it (hopefully, I made it for her). But seems like a great session beer that will be gone in no time. Probably time to go ahead and start another batch. I'm doing the AG next. BTW, My extract had 1.05 OG.

Thanks BM

Can someone convert this to a Partial Mash? I can't wait to try it.

Thank You

I did a partial mash with this:

3.25 lbs Pale Malt (2-row) US
.75 lbs Cara Pils/Dextrin
.50 lbs Caramel/Crystal 10 L
.50 lbs Vienna Malt
2.81 lbs Extra Light LME

I kept the hop schedule the same and mashed with 6.25 quarts (5lbs grain @ 1.25qrts per LB) @ 150 for an hour.

It's on tap right now and it's fantastic. :mug:

This recipe seems to have a huge following. I'm glad I found it. I have been looking for a "Party Beer" to serve at our July 4th bash. Sounds like I'll be able to brew, sample 10 gallons or so for quality assurance purposes, and still have time to brew it again!

Say hello to Independence Blond Ale!!!! :mug:

Chad.

Just to show how well this beer cleans up, this is 16 days in primary, WLP001 yeast. Just 2 teaspoons of irish moss in the boil. I think doing 90 minute boils will help beer clear up better, and I think you get a better flavor... cleaner, per se.

Cent_Blonde.jpg

Has anyone done any experimentation with different base grains with this? I used Rahr 2-row and would like to get a slightly more elegant taste. Maybe add a little pilsner? Maybe a continental pale malt?

I would think Maris Otter would be too biscuity. I don't want biscuity.

Has anyone done any experimentation with different base grains with this? I used Rahr 2-row and would like to get a slightly more elegant taste. Maybe add a little pilsner? Maybe a continental pale malt?

I would think Maris Otter would be too biscuity. I don't want biscuity.

I don't hesitate to use Pilsner. Maybe a longer boil to avoid DMS.

I did a partial mash with this:

3.25 lbs Pale Malt (2-row) US
.75 lbs Cara Pils/Dextrin
.50 lbs Caramel/Crystal 10 L
.50 lbs Vienna Malt
2.81 lbs Extra Light LME

I kept the hop schedule the same and mashed with 6.25 quarts (5lbs grain @ 1.25qrts per LB) @ 150 for an hour.

It's on tap right now and it's fantastic. :mug:

Thank you. Very helpful.

This recipe really got me excited. I brewed it last weekend, breaking in my new barley crusher. My effeciency jumped to around 85%, so the OG came out a little higher. I did top it off with some water to keep it in check. The first 48 hours was a really rigorous fermentation, with constant airlock activity, and krausen up into the neck of the carboy, a first for me. It's settled down now, and I plan on transferring it to secondary in the coolest part of the basement to help clear it up. I can't wait to try it! I should probably get a second batch in the pipeline, since I have a feeling this will go fast.

This should get you a very similar beer:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Brewing this tonight so me and the roomies can have a beer for drinking games :cross:

I did the AG version of this brew back in early April as my first AG attempt. I got 93% eff., so the OG was at 1.054 IIRC. I'm drinking it now(and have been for a couple weeks, and it is BY FAR the best beer I have ever made. I can't get enough of it. I'll definitely be making this again soon. Thanks again, BierMuncher!!!

This was my first all grain brew ever. I had so many problems with it. Didn't have my technique down, bad temps, stuck sparge etc.

Tried one that has been bottled for 3 weeks or so and it is really good. It amazes me how a beer that tasted so bad going into the bottles comes out so good. I cannot wait to do another batch and see what it tastes like without all of the problems that I had with the 1st one.

brewed this three weeks ago and just tapped it today. I had a different store than usual grind my grains and ended up way higher efficiency on this. OG was 1.049.

But holy freaking crap - Biermuncher you are a genious! This beer is out of control good. :ban:

I brewed another 5 gallons of this yesterday while the first batch was still in primary....I just know this stuff won't last long. My first batch was racked to secondary with dry hops....the taste was great, other than some possible diacetyl, which will hopefully clear itself up.

I brewed this recipe and entered it into a competition. Scored a 36 where the highest score for the category was a 39. The only negative comment was that it was on the hoppy side and not balanced enough for the style. Fine by me.
:mug:

I brewed another 5 gallons of this yesterday while the first batch was still in primary....I just know this stuff won't last long. My first batch was racked to secondary with dry hops....the taste was great, other than some possible diacetyl, which will hopefully clear itself up.

I have the key to this- don't let your friends try it :) I felt a tear form when the keg spurted the last drops :( Brewing this one again next week!

I'm thinking about pitching pacman for this beer (Beer after next will probably be a Dead Guy clone). Thoughts?

I'm thinking about pitching pacman for this beer (Beer after next will probably be a Dead Guy clone). Thoughts?
Do it! Rogue uses Pacman for everything so may as well use this recipe as a good starter. Wish I had some Pacman yeast.

On another note I made this last weekend and for a change of pace used some Muntons Gold yeast. Usually I use liquid yeast but didn't feel like it this time and the LHBS didn't have Notty. It seems to have fermented out nice and quick, think I'll go pull a sample and see how it tastes!

Yeah I ripped through a keg of this and foolishly didn't start another batch. I think this will be this weekends brew since it's a great low cost recipe.

Well as long as I have some Vienna in the basement this one will be on the schedule for Sunday.

Need to make up for my last beer that just did not come out quite right.

I brewed this as a partial mash on Sat morning. Notty is rippin through it right now. I can't wait. Three weeks until kegged and a week later it will be July 4th. I hope it is as good as everyone says.

Thanks BM!:mug:

Brewed this Fri afternoon, Notty was going strong but slowed down drastically now. Cant wait to try it! Although my SG was a bit higher.

Back