My most recent culinary diversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
Okonomiyaki

okonomiyaki-5.jpg

Really easy and quite tasty. There are two basic styles, one the Osaka and Hiroshima styles with the former having the batter mixed together and the latter being a layered 'pancake'. I made the Osaka style with chopped shrimp, thin sliced squid, dried small shrimps, green onion and thin sliced ****ake and some thin sliced pork on top.

Essentially you make a batter, add your ingredients, fry it up (medium-low flame) until browned, flip it and then top with Okonomiyaki sauce, Mayonnaise, powdered Nori and Bonito flakes just before serving. The only major problem I had was securing the Mountain Yam. I substituted the best I could with grated white yam, Batata and a little Corn Starch but am going to request the Oriental store to get some in as it really appears key to pulling off an authentic version. However, it still came out really good. Lots of Cabbage is key as well, finely shredded!

Had it with some Dinkle-Acker that a friend gave me. This is a really good beer food!

Wow....Looks interesting...

I love how Sh!take was edited...took me a bit to figure it out. :D

Yeah I was going to misspell it purposely as Shiitake like one member did, but left it.

It's a really good and simple dish. Perfect on a cold night with a nice beer!

Looks almost like a potato pancake.

It does in a way, but the flavor is much different. What is weird is that even though the bulk of it is Cabbage, it really didn't taste at all like Cabbage! I suppose though, that is in part because there are quite a few intense flavors going on there.

Had that at a local japanese restaurant (next door to and owned by one of the best sushi restaurants in town, this is a smaller, more authentic style) after seeing Anthony Bourdain eat it during his japan trip. It is like half way between breakfast and dinner, the eggs with what amounts to japanese bbq sauce is yummy!

Had that at a local japanese restaurant (next door to and owned by one of the best sushi restaurants in town, this is a smaller, more authentic style) after seeing Anthony Bourdain eat it during his japan trip. It is like half way between breakfast and dinner, the eggs with what amounts to japanese bbq sauce is yummy!

I demand to know where!

Reminds me of Egg foo yung. I love that stuff, and from the pic I can see myself eating a mess of this as well.

No recipe for the batter from the link.

What kind of batter is it? Pancake batter? Fish and chips batter?

?

:D

The batter link works. It's mostly the flour, egg and Mountain Yam that kind of bind together the shredded Cabbage (and other optional ingredients).

Reminds me of Egg foo yung. I love that stuff, and from the pic I can see myself eating a mess of this as well.

Most folks have been saying the same thing. It's quite different, but very tasty as well. It's not really as messy as it looks.

I think one of the major points is to keep your flame medium-low and cover the 'pancake' with foil or a lid before the first flip to help it steam cook through. You want it to brown nicely, but not before the inside has cooked through.

Man just thinking about this is making me want one....:D

Back