Oops.. what did I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
I'm going to make this short and sweet... For a change ;)

On a few of my last extract batches, I have decided to add hops, and dextrose. Silly thing is that I boiled them together, and the taste is not nice.

So, 20gm cascade hops, boiled in 2 litres of water fro 30 minutes, as an addition to the American Pale Ale I have made a few times has always been a nice added bitter punch. 500gm of Dextrose dissolved in 1 litre of water always adds a nice punch in the ABV. But boiling the two of them together is NOT nice...

Has anyone else ever made this mistake? Why does it taste so bad?

Boiling the hops in a very high gravity wort (~1.150) changes the utilization, but why dextrose would result in bad flavors being extracted is a stumper.

Can you refine "not nice"?

On a few of my last extract batches, I have decided to add hops, and dextrose. Silly thing is that I boiled them together, and the taste is not nice.

Have you been using hopped extract previously? Or did I miss read? Anyway, if you are having problems with low boil volumes causing high gravity in the kettle, you may want to try an extract late brewing method. If you run a search on google for late extract brewing I am sure a few good articles will come up and explain it better than I could.

Boiling the hops in a very high gravity wort (~1.150) changes the utilization, but why dextrose would result in bad flavors being extracted is a stumper.

Can you refine "not nice"?

I wouldn't say "Bad"... The beer has what seems to be a watery bitterness to it. It sort of tastes like someone has re used bittering hops. Does that make sense?

SO what affect does the high gravity have on the utilisation? I guess that's a stupid question now that I have tasted it first hand eh? But what's the official description?

If you are talking about simply Hopped wort. Then it is going to taste like butt. I personally dont like the taste of unfermented wort. It is really bitter almost to the point that it doesnt taste right. After fermentation it tastes fine. Also as mentioned above the balance isnt anywhere close to appropriate with just sugar and hops but by adding this to the wort it becomes more balanced.

My original post wasn't very clear. What I meant to say was that I boiled the 500gm Dextrose with the hops.. separate from the rest of the wort.

Back