New homebrewer quesions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber8302

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a few questions. I plan on brewing Sunday. I am doing an IPA for my first batch. My questions are:
1. I do not have my wine thief yet. Any suggestions on how to cleanly take a sample for my OG?

2. I plan on having my primary fermentation in my basement. I live in central Ohio and I believe the temperature is about 60-65 F. Is that too cool for fermentation ?

Good luck on our first batch.

1) I use a turkey baster to pull a sample for the hydrometer. I make sure to sanitize it before hand. I use a plastic one but alot of people have success with stainless as well.

2) What yeast are you using?

If its in a bucket use a very clean, sanitozed cup.

60 is good, 65 may be warm bc the fermentaion will raise 3-10 degrees. Watch the temps of the fermenter and if you need put it in a swamp cooler

Thanks! I'm already hooked! I haven't even brewed my 1st batch yet and I am already planning the second.

It says it a dry ale yeast. It is Safale S-04 and while looking at the package for the name, I see it says" 53.6-77f ideally 59- 68f.

Thanks! I'm already hooked! I haven't even brewed my 1st batch yet and I am already planning the second.

It says it a dry ale yeast. It is Safale S-04 and while looking at the package for the name, I see it says" 53.6-77f ideally 59- 68f.

It's always better to be at the lower end of the ideal range. So 60 would be best, if you can keep it there :)

Latest posts

Back