Screwed up yeast pitch (I think)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjulich01

Reaction score
4 hours ago I began my 1st ever batch of mead and in the final step, as I pitched my yeast, I realized I never stirred it as there was a dry clump in the middle of my must. So do I need to stir it for the first couple of days, leave it alone or what? Hate to mess up my 1st batch already.

4 hours ago I began my 1st ever batch of mead and in the final step, as I pitched my yeast, I realized I never stirred it as there was a dry clump in the middle of my must. So do I need to stir it for the first couple of days, leave it alone or what? Hate to mess up my 1st batch already.

Well, I am a stirrer. Definitely want to break up yeast clumps. When I pitch a yeast I read the packet as they are formulated two ways...dry pitch-sprinkle across the top of the must versus starter style- make a starter (it gives directions usually). Though some make a starter for every batch, but I am a rebel...yes, an instruction follower. For the most part, anyway.
As far as stirring your must--definitely for the first few days, say 5-8-10. Helps if your primary is a wide mouth food grade container with at least 3" headspace (lightly covered, not sealed), as this allows the yeast easy access to oxygen, something they love in the early phase. Then you can stir 1-2x/day, am and pm (allows for inspection, temp check, sulohur smell patrol/control), plus you will find as you work with fruit the wide mouth is essential and makes it so much easier to manipulate the fruit (cap management).
So, there is my rambling on stirring.

Real quick... how would I be able to determine when to actually snap the lid shut

Real quick... how would I be able to determine when to actually snap the lid shut

I typically transfer to carboy and apply airlock at the 2/3 sugar break (when original gravity has dropped by 2/3), or day 10-whichever comes first.
I do not use a bucket for entire ferment.

Hmmm, that's interesting about the loose fitting lid. I have been brewing beer for a little while and use the bucket ferment method. Here I always snap the lid shut.
I too just started a batch of "traditional" mead on Monday. Well I got concerned when it didn't start. After a day of impatient waiting I went to the lhbs and got some nutrient and energizer, mixed that in and within 5 minuts of "snapping" the lid back on it was going berzerk. Today, the activity has slowed significantly (a bubble every 20 sec). Should I do a sg check and stir again then replace lid once again?

Ps the avg temp of must was about 77

Hmmm, that's interesting about the loose fitting lid. I have been brewing beer for a little while and use the bucket ferment method. Here I always snap the lid shut.
I too just started a batch of "traditional" mead on Monday. Well I got concerned when it didn't start. After a day of impatient waiting I went to the lhbs and got some nutrient and energizer, mixed that in and within 5 minuts of "snapping" the lid back on it was going berzerk. Today, the activity has slowed significantly (a bubble every 20 sec). Should I do a sg check and stir again then replace lid once again?

Ps the avg temp of must was about 77

Beer brewing and wine making are not the same. Definitely good idea to use nutrient with mead, and always use hydrometer, not airlock activity, to measure response to yeast and progress of the ferment.
The length of entire ferment of mead can take months, thus the reason that most finish in a carboy. In fact, many meads that have no solids are typically started in carboys. Temp of 77--just make sure you are not exceeding temp range of yeast, can develop off flavors as a result. Stirring is a good thing in the beginning.

First time jitters here so bear with me. Just to make sure do I need to worry about sanitizing the lid again before I lay it back over and I already added nutrient before I pitched (1 tsp per 1 gal) (5 gal batch) so do I add anymore after 1st rack ect, ect.

First time jitters here so bear with me. Just to make sure do I need to worry about sanitizing the lid again before I lay it back over and I already added nutrient before I pitched (1 tsp per 1 gal) (5 gal batch) so do I add anymore after 1st rack ect, ect.

Some people add another dose of nutrient when SG has dropped by 1/3 from the original gravity. I just divide the dose in half and add half at start and the remainder at 1/3 sugar break. There is a sticky on 'staggered nutrient addition aka SNA', check that out.
On the lid, as long as you have not contaminated the lid you do not need to reclean/sanitize. So if you took lid off, flipped it over (with inner aspect now facing upward) and set it down on a clean and dry surface all is good. If you are worried, this is a prime example of why having a mist bottle filled with some k-meta sanitizing solution, clearly marked and dated, is a good idea.

Back