Brett Claussenii - secondary or bottle condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
This strain is described as the mildest Brett by White Labs. I've only done one beer with it and that was as the sole yeast in primary. Little to no funk and very tart. I've got a Belgian-style export stout I want to add Claussenii to, hoping that it will introduce some of the tartness and/or fruit it did in the primary. I know that Brett primary & secondary produce very different flavors, and that bottle reconditioning produces more funk than bulk fermentation. I guess ideally I would split the batch, bottling half with brett and bulk aging the other half with the same dose, but I don't have any 3 gallon Better Bottles.

Any idea on what sort of gravity drop I'll see from this strain, either in bulk or bottles? I'm sure the exact number is highly dependant on grist, mash temp, gravity, temp, etc, etc, but any kind of ball park suggestions would be much appreciated.

If it were me I would use the Brett WLP644 instead of the Brett C to get those characteristics. Its a year round strain as of this week so your LHBS should carry it soon.

Realistically Brett can give a 100% fermentation over time...I wouldn't bottle a Brett beer until it was under 1.005

5 lbs of blackberries instead. Maybe Brett after.

image-3155556944.jpg

you normally won't get much tartness from Brett alone. dump some dregs in from your favorite sour beer and it will get tart.

Back