Activated wyeast last week, still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barleydude

Reaction score
I activated a Wyeast 1056 Direct Pitch Activator pack last Saturday, but ended up postponing that brewing until tomorrow. Is there a timeframe when these should can be used? The directions say "Allow the package to incubate and swell for 3 hours or more". Is 168 hours too much? :)

I'd say if it has been refrigerated the entire time then use it. If not, I would just get some more.

IMO if it has been at room temperature with no major swings it's probably still fine to use but, as with all liquid yeast you should definitely make a starter to verify it is viable. Over the week you probably lost some cells. Visit http://www.yeastcalc.com, plug in the numbers, determine the appropriate starter size and make it:)

Yeah make a starter but since the bags are sealed up pretty well even if it sat out it should be fine.

The yeast is probably fine. But check mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com. For any brew over approximately 1.030 you should be making starters.

It is pretty well accepted that although you can ferment a beer with a smackpack they don't contain enough yeast to optimally ferment a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for all of the info! I'll bookmark those sites for reference. It has been refrigerated since the day it was activated.

I actually have yet to make a starter since I have been brewing. So I guess I'm a bit confused about this yeast requiring a starter, and not being adequate for 5 gallon batches. So far I haven't had any fermenting issues, maybe just getting lucky? (The last brew with this type of yeast went from 1.052 to 1.011)

Just to make sure we're referring to the same yeast, this is what I'm using:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_productdetail.cfm?ProductID=16

"The Activator™ is designed to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard strength ale wort (1.034-1.060 SG) with professional pitching rates. "

I'm more than happy to create a starter with it, just want to make sure it really is needed.

Thanks!

I never had a problem with not making a starter either, unless it was high gravity or a lager. In both cases a starter was made and a rather large one for the lager. Ever since I switched to brewing 10 gal batches I have to make a starter every time.

I never had a problem with not making a starter either, unless it was high gravity or a lager. In both cases a starter was made and a rather large one for the lager. Ever since I switched to brewing 10 gal batches I have to make a starter every time.

That's good to know, all three of those (high gravity, lager, and 10gal batches) are in the plan for the near future.

It's not that you'll have problems with fermenting as the beer will ferment, it's a matter of pitching the proper amount of yeast to efficiently ferment the beer with the proper rate of pitch.

While the package says it is enough for a beer up to 1.060 most experienced brewers will tell you it's not and if you go to the recommended sites and plug the numbers on the next batch you brew you will see what the proper pitch rate should be and where you're at with our pack of yeast without a starter.

I always make starters and my beer has improved because of this practice, most definitely!

Back