Cheap pump and FDA approved 12v 100c

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! I'm happy it worked! Really quiet too! How'd you connect the inlet?

Had some spare vinyl tubing around. For the 12v, the inlet is 1/2"ID and the outlet is 5/16"ID.

For the 6v, I used 3/8" ID for inlet ad 1/4" ID for outlet. The 3/8" did not make a tight connection and it was dripping a little, but can probably use a clamp or find the right size tubing for it.

I had planned on using one of these to circulate the water in my HLT for HERMS.

Also had a plan to use it to circulate ice water from one container into a fermentation container as a poor man's temp controlled ferm chamber.

daksin said:
Have you tried it at temperature? I know some cheap pumps can fail to couple at near-boiling.

I've ran mine up to 170f in a HERMS exchanger but the pump is located outside of the vessel.

I had planned on using one of these to circulate the water in my HLT for HERMS.

Also had a plan to use it to circulate ice water from one container into a fermentation container as a poor man's temp controlled ferm chamber.

I like the temp control idea. Could you use the small pump to cool your beer lines?

By the way, I was able to run the 12v pump with a standard 9v battery and the 6v one from a usb port.

The 12v one did make a different sound with the 9v supply, so it was obviously not operating as fast as with the 12v supply. I did not notice any difference in the 6v pump when connected to the 5v supply (USB).

YMMV.

I like the temp control idea. Could you use the small pump to cool your beer lines?

That's a good question. I can see a device that pumps chilled water through tubes around serving lines, but I think someone with actual line chilling experience pipe up. These pumps aren't built to have much lift. Too much resistance and it might not function properly.

The temp control idea is simply a small cooler or container with a block of ice and some water in it. When the temp in the ferm chamber turns on the control output, it turns on the pump which pumps the ice water into the top of the ferm chamber. When the water level reaches the drain hole it flows back into the ice block to get chilled.

I have no idea how practical this is, but I can see how it might save space and maybe some money depending on the price of a CL fridge and whether or not you had suitable containers. The hardest part was coming up with a cheap pump.

Do you guys think that the 12v pump would work well for setting up a Jamil style whirlpool IC? I think I might buy it for that purpose.

By the way, I was able to run the 12v pump with a standard 9v battery and the 6v one from a usb port.

The 12v one did make a different sound with the 9v supply, so it was obviously not operating as fast as with the 12v supply. I did not notice any difference in the 6v pump when connected to the 5v supply (USB).

YMMV.

I ordered two of each, they came in one box, and I can't tell which is which :confused:

Am I missing something??

Does the larger (12v) pumps seem plenty capable for doing a single tiered brew system? I'm mainly looking for something to pump hot water from the brew kettle to the mash tun, then pump the wort back to the brew kettle. Think this one could handle it?

As with any application needing a pump, you'll need to look at your flow and lift needs and compare them to the pump specs...

The 12v pumps are definitely bigger than the 6v ones.

The one on the right in this picture is the 12v pump.

http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/attachm...ap-pump-fda-approved-12v-100c-img_1509-1-.jpg

that is definitely not what I got...
pumps.png

They are the same part number, with just a different voltage...
12v and 6v

Keep the updates comin. Looking at this pump myself for a small batch single vessel system with a small footprint/integrated control box

I can't see the videos either, using chrome on win7 here...

It seems as if these pumps are doing well. Is there enough of a draw to run through a whole house filter or 2? I'm keeping an eye out for ways to filter the yeast and get a more clear end product.

I always get some grain particles that make it through my false bottom, go through my march pump, and get stuck in the sparge arm. I use this little 12V pump to recirc in my HERMS. The impeller and impeller housing is pretty small...definitely small enough to trap a particle. But....could be worth a try. It would really suck if it ate something though.

I can't see the videos either, using chrome on win7 here...

It seems as if these pumps are doing well. Is there enough of a draw to run through a whole house filter or 2? I'm keeping an eye out for ways to filter the yeast and get a more clear end product.

I don't have a filter setup, so I can't comment on that.

I always get some grain particles that make it through my false bottom, go through my march pump, and get stuck in the sparge arm. I use this little 12V pump to recirc in my HERMS. The impeller and impeller housing is pretty small...definitely small enough to trap a particle. But....could be worth a try. It would really suck if it ate something though.

I use a stainless braid and don't have a problem with particles going through, but I'd think that the occasional particle would not be a problem, but a few of them going through may be a different scenario.

mendesm said:
I use a stainless braid and don't have a problem with particles going through, but I'd think that the occasional particle would not be a problem, but a few of them going through may be a different scenario.

Have you experience with this pump?

Single tier setup with 10 gallon cooler and 2 of these SS pots.

My setup is not permanently mounted yet so I just secure the hoses connected to the output of the pumps up and over the sides of the pot/cooler's side. The pumps are placed horizontally, just under the pot/cooler, with their outputs facing up to let any air bubbles to freely float out of the pumps.

I don't recall how high the cooler is, but it's definitely way under 3 feet high, probably closer to 2. The ss pots are only 17" high.

For the pump between the cooler and the kettle, I just move the output hose to recirculate/transfer accordingly.

With either pump, just open the valve, let gravity prime the pump and turn it on.

EDIT: I do have 2 of the 6v pumps too. I'll end up using one of those just for recirculating when I get around to finding a final and permanent place for my setup. Eventually the whole thing will be a computer controlled electric setup.

EDIT 2: I did purchase a march pump before I bought the tiny ones but never got around to using it. As it is, I'm probably going to end up putting the march pump for sale.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one to try it out... I'm 90% through making a Direct fire temperature controled BIAB system (Just need to paint the stand) I just need it to recirculate the warmer water from the bottom.

Single tier setup with 10 gallon cooler and 2 of these SS pots.

My setup is not permanently mounted yet so I just secure the hoses connected to the output of the pumps up and over the sides of the pot/cooler's side. The pumps are placed horizontally, just under the pot/cooler, with their outputs facing up to let any air bubbles to freely float out of the pumps.

I don't recall how high the cooler is, but it's definitely way under 3 feet high, probably closer to 2. The ss pots are only 17" high.

For the pump between the cooler and the kettle, I just move the output hose to recirculate/transfer accordingly.

With either pump, just open the valve, let gravity prime the pump and turn it on.

EDIT: I do have 2 of the 6v pumps too. I'll end up using one of those just for recirculating when I get around to finding a final and permanent place for my setup. Eventually the whole thing will be a computer controlled electric setup.

EDIT 2: I did purchase a march pump before I bought the tiny ones but never got around to using it. As it is, I'm probably going to end up putting the march pump for sale.

These look awesome! You have links for the youtube videos you posted earlier in this thread? they dont seem to be showing up for me today :(

Last edited by a moderator:
For the electronically disabled, could someone throw out some good permanent options for powering the pumps?

For the 12v ones, any 12v power supply that can put out 1A (ampere) will work. For the 6v pump, pretty much any cell phone charger should work.

For the 12v ones, any 12v power supply that can put out 1A (ampere) will work. For the 6v pump, pretty much any cell phone charger should work.

Thanks. I've got a 12v that puts out 300mah. Will that harm the pump or just not let it work at it's full capacity?

Back