Witbier Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stikolaboloni

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY3944
Yeast Starter
smack pack
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
optional
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 (30min hop boil)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 (~70deg)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
optional
Tasting Notes
Allagash grain bill. Crisp, refreshing, simple. Skip the lemon
*FG was actually 1.012

The nice weather had me itchin for a nice clean summer brew, so here goes. I brewed this on Memorial Day, just took a sample and it tastes spot on what I had in mind. Will be bottling shortly, I'll follow up with an update and pic after I crack one. Cheers

5.0 lb German/Weyerman Bohemian Pilsner malt [2.1L]
2.0 lb U.S. Malted Red Wheat [3.0-3.5L]
*3.0 lb Flaked (unmalted) Soft White Wheat
1.0 oz Tettnang [4.5%] pellets (30 min)
0.5 oz Saazer [4.3%] (30 min)
0.5 oz Saazer [4.3%] (FWH) *add to BK as wort is received from tun
1.0 oz Bitter orange (2 min)
1.0 oz Coriander seeds (2 min)
1 tablet Whirlfloc (20 min)
Campden tablets (1 per G)

*The LBS was out of the soft white wheat, so at his recommendation I stopped by Whole Foods and picked up Wheat Flakes from the bulk section for $1.49/lb. The grain bill I came across in another thread from someone who posted an email from Jason Perkins, head brewer at Allagash

I normally do single-step mashes, but with the wheat I went with a beta/protein rest about 122 for 15mins, then sacc rest around 150-152 for 60mins. Overshot the temp a little, added some sanitized ice.

i think 1oz of coriander can be a bit to much, but i have tried it before and did like it (it was a higher abv so it balanced well)! my wife loved it, but i prefer a little bit less, say about .5oz to .75oz for 5 gallons. I've even tried putting a little bit of cracked black peppercorn in it as well, about a 1/4 of a teaspoon was almost perfect.

Yeah I guess we'll see how it turns out, I'm not a big coriander fan myself but used .5oz before and found it was hardly detectable. I can see if coriander was the only spice and I was adding it in the fermenter and/or crushing the seeds or something, but here I didn't crush, used an equal amount of bitter orange and added at the end of the boil. Also I strain the wort once cooled. The sample I tasted didn't seem overbearing, even for my taste, but to each his own.

In any case, when it's ready to drink I'll certainly be the first to concede if it was too much and adjust for future recipes. Appreciate the feedback

Turned out quite deelish if I must say. If you crack the seeds (like you're supposed to) I would probably go like 0.5oz. Since coriander comes in 1oz packages from the LBS I figured I'd toss the whole bag in uncracked, and I get only a hint of the residual flavor on my palate. Beyond that, not quite sure yet how I'll play around with the grain bill next time. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and just in time for a heat wave. Cheers

photo.jpg

Back