Swirling the Fruit In Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseburgBrewer

Reaction score
I've read up on adding fruit to the secondary and racking on top, but I haven't found any info on what to do after that. Should I swirl the beer occasionally like I would if I was dry hopping? It seems like all of the fruit puree has sunk to the bottom and its not going to come in contact with all the beer.

Just make sure you are not splashing it around while you do this. I have no real experience with fruit but have done the light swirl to get the hops wet before. I'm sure it will be fine as is though.

RoseburgBrewer said:
I've read up on adding fruit to the secondary and racking on top, but I haven't found any info on what to do after that. Should I swirl the beer occasionally like I would if I was dry hopping? It seems like all of the fruit puree has sunk to the bottom and its not going to come in contact with all the beer.

Think of it as steeping tea in a cup. The flavor/color will blend in without doing anything else. If you stir/shake the beer, you run the risk of oxidation. Let it be, and it'll be fine. If you just have to stir, do it GENTLY, so you don't introduce oxygen into the beer you worked so hard to make. Same with dry hopping. The more you mess with it, the more you risk oxidation. When you rack to the bottling bucket or keg, it'll mix itself.

Back