beaners in my buds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madtown Brew

Reaction score
Just wondering why all of the whole leaf hops I've been using all have seeds in them? If hops are anything like their less-than-legal cousin, then wouldn't pollination of the flowers result in considerably less lupulin and other desirable oils/resins in the buds?

homebrewer_99 said:
*****, *****, *****...at least the stems were taken out for you...;)

(Answer to question...I don't know...)

actually, I've been kind of annoyed with the amount of stems and leaves that have been in the hops also. A couple of brews ago, there were 2 whole hop leaves (large, sun leaves, not small ones) in the bag along with several bare stems (saaz). Darn Czechislovakians (sp?) need to learn some quality control.

You are correct in thinking that seeds reduce AA production, but seeds can grow ever without pollination. [Growers try very hard to avoid this, since commercial brewers pay for AA, not weight] As far as getting leafs, etc. in the hops. Most hops are mechanically harvested these days and an occasional leaf happens. If you've never seen Magnum, you are in for a surprise. It is normal for the flowers to have leaves in them.

The final solution is to grow your own.

david_42 said:
...but seeds can grow ever without pollination.

Could you please explain this a bit more, if possible. I've been researching for the past couple of days and can find no reports of some sort of asexual generation of seeds. I did find lots of accounts of hermaphroditism and bisexual flowers - which is pretty common in diecious species. Any further info or perhaps some links to sources?

david_42 said:
The final solution is to grow your own.

Already on it. Although, I did plant them very late (beginning of July). No flowers yet, but I'm lucky in that I have a greenhouse to grow them in this first year. So hopefully I can get something even if it takes until November. If not, at least they will be nice and strong for next spring.

Back