how to clear up an APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hough77

Reaction score
I have an APA racked to a carboy dry hopping right now on week 2.
I forgot to use the Irish moss I bought in the boil, can I do anything to clear it up at this point? (5g batch)

Gelatin works, but it works best cold. If you keg, you can do it in there.

deanfootlong said:
put it in your refridgerator for a day or two. then the keg/bottle

I've been going from fermenter/ carboy to keg the last 2 batches, but neither beer was remotely clear. It was a Summer ale and an Amber ale.
I let the keg sit in the fridge for 2 days before putting any gas on it.

Do you buy gelatin in the grocery store? Bakers section I'm guessing.

Yes. Knox Unflavored Gelatin. I add a packet to a cup of water and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I then microwave it for less than a minute ( you don't want to boil it - think Jello ) and dump it in the keg and rack the beer on top of it.

I've never done it in the carboy but I'm sure someone on here can give you tips on that if needed.

+1 on gelatin. It works fine at room temp in the secondary carboy, although it's more effective against chill haze if you crash cool.

BeerLogic said:
+1 on gelatin. It works fine at room temp in the secondary carboy, although it's more effective against chill haze if you crash cool.

So rack on to the gelatin in the keg and then refridgerate.?

I usually rack to a carboy, add the gelatin on top, and refrigerate it for a couple days, then rack to the keg. Otherwise you might end up with a bunch gunk in the first couple pints.

Back