American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A week in the bottle and carbed up reasonably. Awesome, and SWMBO really likes it, so score, more support for the hobby, not to mention another convert. Another week to fully carb and mellow a bit and it should be fantastic.

I brewed an 8 gallon batch yesterday! My first AG. I put 4 gallons in a corny key to ferment using the Notty yeast, and the remainder in a 5 gallon carboy to ferment using some washed WLP 530 (trappist yeast). Should be an interesting comparison.

I hit an OG of 1.049, a little lower than what the recipe calls for but not bad for my first AG. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I think I will be using this to jump into all grain. Very soon!

well, used this to brew my first AG last night. i screwed up the sparge (actually 2 since i was working with a zapap lauter tun) by not letting it sit long enough. i did manage to keep my temps pretty right (i think they got a little high for the first 10 min...had my thermometer in a cold spot, i guess) even still i got a og of 1.058, so we'll see how it goes!

btw, using my oven to hold the mash temps in my boil kettle kind of sucked. i think i need to scrounge up a cooler.

edit: i figured out my efficiency, which was 84%. not bad for my first time! though, i guess we'll see how it tastes!

I just kegged a batch of this and i messed up the mash temp because i didn't preheat my mash tun. mashed at 148. On top of that i think i had a bad batch of notty cause it took a while to start off. Well the beer is good but my question is, this seems to be a grapefruit bomb. is that normal? or does the flavor seem more intense because of the mash temp?

Has anyone gotten a really strong yeasty taste from using nottingham yeast with this recipe?

The reason I asked is that I made this brew without any problems with a partial mash recipe, even hit my OG. Fermentation didn't get really active till about 48-60 hours after I pitched the Notty yeast. (I think my pack was getting old). Left the beer sit in the primary for 8 days then bottled it with about 5 oz corn sugar. Got about a 1/2 bottle to sample from what was left after bottling. The sample was really great considering it hadn't carbed up. Let the brew bottle condition for 2 weeks in the dark closet at 63-65ºF. I put a couple in the fridge this am and my neighbor and I sampled the finished product tonight after work.
I was hoping it was my head-cold that was playing havok with my tastebuds when I sampled it tonight but my neighbor confirmed my disappointment. The beer was a beautiful golden color, a bit hazy (not quite sure why, either yeast or perhaps starch haze), very good head retention. But the taste was rather yeasty, almost bready and was very dominate. Could taste some bitterness on the back end but couldn't identify is clearly. Decent mouthfeel. Definately a difference taste than what I has sampled at bottling. What I sampled at bottling time was light, very balance taste of the vienna malt and the cascade hops.

So my questions are, Does the Nottingham yeast have a strong taste presences for lighter beers when you use it? Am I getting this weird yeasty taste because the notty yeast pack I used was old or did I get an infection? (believe the expiration date on the notty pack was aug or sept 2010)
Is this batch worth saving and hoping it gets better with time?

Thanks for the help.
Redbeard5289

Just drank the last bottle of this that I've been saving for over a year. Beautifully clear, best looking beer of my own I've ever poured. Should have taken a picture. It's aged well, but the hops have faded enough that I'm glad I have a new pale in the pipeline.

Has anyone gotten a really strong yeasty taste from using nottingham yeast with this recipe?

The reason I asked is that I made this brew without any problems with a partial mash recipe, even hit my OG. Fermentation didn't get really active till about 48-60 hours after I pitched the Notty yeast. (I think my pack was getting old). Left the beer sit in the primary for 8 days then bottled it with about 5 oz corn sugar. Got about a 1/2 bottle to sample from what was left after bottling. The sample was really great considering it hadn't carbed up. Let the brew bottle condition for 2 weeks in the dark closet at 63-65ºF. I put a couple in the fridge this am and my neighbor and I sampled the finished product tonight after work.
I was hoping it was my head-cold that was playing havok with my tastebuds when I sampled it tonight but my neighbor confirmed my disappointment. The beer was a beautiful golden color, a bit hazy (not quite sure why, either yeast or perhaps starch haze), very good head retention. But the taste was rather yeasty, almost bready and was very dominate. Could taste some bitterness on the back end but couldn't identify is clearly. Decent mouthfeel. Definately a difference taste than what I has sampled at bottling. What I sampled at bottling time was light, very balance taste of the vienna malt and the cascade hops.

So my questions are, Does the Nottingham yeast have a strong taste presences for lighter beers when you use it? Am I getting this weird yeasty taste because the notty yeast pack I used was old or did I get an infection? (believe the expiration date on the notty pack was aug or sept 2010)
Is this batch worth saving and hoping it gets better with time?

Thanks for the help.
Redbeard5289

IMHO in only 8 days of fermentation you didn't get a lot of yeast settling out of this. Did you cold crash it before bottling? I think it's more the amount of yeast left in the beer, not the strain. I usually get a clean taste out of knotty. But could be wrong, next time if you only use a primary leave it closer to 14 days and cold crash it before bottling and I bet it will be a lot cleaner. ALWAYS SAVE THE BATCH! just let it sit and try not rouse the yeast before you pour it in a glass. Good luck!:rockin:

90% of beers are going to taste like poo in 8 days. whats the hurry? I ferment everything 21+ days even if its done in a week...some lighter beers are ready in a couple weeks but 3 weeks is a good rule of thumb. patience my friend.... patience...:mug:

photorrq.jpg

Thanks for the beer! I was really surprised at the sweetness of this pale ale. It finished at right around 1.010, but it was not dry tasting at all. I even used it to experiment with apricot extract. Very yummy!

Brewed this a couple times as a partial mash, and this was my first AG today. Did this as a 10gal batch (going for bust!). Had a few mistakes. When I did the vorlauf for the first runnings, I do not think I did it enough and ended up with some floaties. Hopefully not enough to be an issue.

Also ended up with a 14.7 brix (1.060 OG) which was higher then I anticipated, so I guess I just had better efficiency and a little higher final volume.

I can't believe I haven't seen this recipe. I'm usually looking for Cascade recipes to use up my home grown hops. I think we need a sticky with all of Edwort's recipes if there isn't one already. Well, I'm running out of kegs, but I'm sure one will come out of use eventually.

Transferred this one over tonight. The sample was delicious... very much like the Texas Blondes I've had from both Real Ale and Southern Star. Now only if there were some Texas blondes around to drink it as well. Made mine with Hallertau which is giving me the a less hoppy beer as hoped for.

I think I'll give this recipe a go this weekend. It will be my first AG without assistance. I only have a 5 gallon mash tun. Think that will be okay for this recipe? I'll surely build a bigger one shortly after.

I also have some EKG that are already opened. Think it'd come out okay if I substitute the Cascades for EKG?

I can't wait..............:D

Using EKG over Cascades will certainly make a beer that will come out ok, and having similar alpha acids makes the amounts remain the same. However, don't expect it to taste anything like the original recipe (hop-wise). EKG will give you a real earthy flavor with a bit of a floral aroma. Nothing like the citrusy grapefruit aroma cascades typically impart.

Using EKG over Cascades will certainly make a beer that will come out ok, and having similar alpha acids makes the amounts remain the same. However, don't expect it to taste anything like the original recipe (hop-wise). EKG will give you a real earthy flavor with a bit of a floral aroma. Nothing like the citrusy grapefruit aroma cascades typically impart.

I've been thinking...a very dangerous thing. I need to get some AG practice in, and I've got enough hops in the freezer for 3 batches (each with a different hop). This base recipe is perfect to warm up to AG with. I will crank them out, one per weekend if SWMBO will let me. ;) I'll probably use WLP001 for all 3 because I've got a bit already washed and ready. Would that be okay or should I just grab some Notty?

1. First batch I will do the tried and true original recipe w/Cascades
2. Second will be the same grain bill but with EKG
3. Third I will substitute the Vienna for Munich (which I already have) and use Willamette.*
4. I'll finally brew the SNPA clone that i just got in the mail.

This way I'll be able to stock up on summer pool party brew and only need to buy 24lbs Pale, 4lbs Vienna, 1.5 lbs Crystal. I won the hops and Munich in a raffle. :D

See anything wrong with my plan of attack?

*Since I just killed the original recipe I may throw in .25lb Carafa III & .25 Victory...just because it's laying around

Has anyone gotten a really strong yeasty taste from using Nottingham yeast with this recipe?

Yep. A week in the fridge kills it. I thought it was good, and everyone liked it. I was thinking it may have been from shredding husks w/ my Victoria mill, as it was the first batch I did with it. It had a definite dry, chalky, kind of yeasty bite. I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but I put some in the fridge for a week at most, and it disappeared. It's great now. :mug:
I left it in primary about 2 1/2 weeks, btw.

I think I'll give this recipe a go this weekend. It will be my first AG without assistance. I only have a 5 gallon mash tun.

I use a 5g igloo from Lowe's and this is great in it. I get about 80-85% eff. with a good crush. If I go over 12 lbs it goes downhill dramatically. do it.

What could I expect if I added a small amount of flaked oats to the grain bill? I am thinking about adding a half pound. I like the mouthfeel that the oats give the beer but don't want to ruin this superb brew. Thanks.

I just poured my first from the tap tonight. Excellent. Try it like it is, then make changes.

What could I expect if I added a small amount of flaked oats to the grain bill? I am thinking about adding a half pound. I like the mouthfeel that the oats give the beer but don't want to ruin this superb brew. Thanks.

I just kegged a batch of this using Simcoe and Cascade whole leaf.. dry hopped for 7 days. Man is it good... cant wait for it to finish carbing up, might have to do another batch this weekend cause I dont think itll last long.

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here. Brewed this about 10 days ago as my second All Grain. I have an extra ounce of Mt. Hood pellets in the fridge, think these would make a decent hop for dry hopping?

IMHO this is a great recipe to experiment w/. I made one batch as EdWort wrote it (it was great!). I think every batch I make of this I'll change up the hops, especially DH, and do some side by sides. I'm really trying to dial in hop varieties and techniques, man there is a lot to know. Cheers to Ed for the great, simple recipe!:mug:

Ed, after tasting that badass apfelwein, I'm givin this one a go verbatim this Sunday. Should give me the right amount of time to keg up and consume that SWMBO Slayer I brewed three weeks ago!

After brewing this one with Hallertau, the results are in. The day after the party the keg was extremely light. Very good indeed. Good crispness with a malty backbone and enough herbal note from the Hallertau made this one a hit! Very much like Fireman's Four and other American Blonde ales.

:mug:

I am drinking my first batch of this as I type. Very tasty. It was my first all-grain, a BIAB, no-chill brew. I had some problems with my mash thermometer and brought the temp up too high after about 30 minutes, but apparently the conversion was done because I hit my OG and FG without a problem.

I did a second batch the following weekend at correct mash temps, that is currently cold-crashing with gelatin. I am interested in seeing if I can discern a difference in taste or clarity (no gelatin in batch 1).

Thanks for the recipe.

I think it came out pretty good. missed the mash temp, but i hope 150 will be ok. Came to exactly 5.5 gal at 1.052. Washed WLP001 took off like a bat out of hell. 10 hours later and the 3 piece airlock was putting out 3 or so bubbles per second. I think I'm going to wish I used a blowoff tube.

Looks great, but time will tell

Brewed this last night (mini-mash style), bubbling away today. Pitched Wyeast 1056. Only other change was to use 2.5 pounds of Vienna instead of 2 due to the inefficiency of the mini-mash. OG was 1.053 for 5.5 gallons, so right in the ballpark.

Back