Modern Marvels Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme6582

Reaction score
I don't care that someone else has a post for this. It's awesome and it deserves another. There are 5 parts to the whole show.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Last edited by a moderator:
That episode was on earlier today - when I was grinding grain for my amber ale. They simplified things a bit, but it was pretty interesting.

anybody know if this show will be replayed at a later time and/or date? i missed it because i was busy brewing up a batch of black lager. :mug:

My dad sent me a text that this was on. I checked my listings and didn't see it so I just watched it on youtube. If you follow the link you can watch it there and the other parts of it will show up in the playlist. It looked really good in fullscreen on my screen.

It's a pretty good show. I just caught the Modern Marvels "Whiskey" episode the other night. It was cool to see a lot of the same equipment, processes and jargon used in brewing applied to distilling.

I'm slowly getting into whiskey and bourbon, and had no idea they were essentially just distilled beers. And I had no idea brandy was distilled wine. Cool stuff.

That was a great show.

One thing I noticed was how they were mixing during the mash. I believe AB would know if Hot Side Aeration was bad for your end result.

That was a great show.

One thing I noticed was how they were mixing during the mash. I believe AB would know if Hot Side Aeration was bad for your end result.

Most commercial breweries, especially ones with mashes as big as AB will stir. Its almost necessary to maintain consistent mash temps. If you don't stir like crazy, you won't aerate.

Most commercial breweries, especially ones with mashes as big as AB will stir. Its almost necessary to maintain consistent mash temps. If you don't stir like crazy, you won't aerate.

True, and I completely understand why they do it, but that was some vigorous stirring. I'm just arguing against hot-side-aeration here.

If anyone can post nice, eloquent descriptions for each part, I can add them to the OP.

Back