NB New Old Ale - Late Hop Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horseman

Reaction score
I am brewing Northern Brewer's New Old Ale and failed to see the hops were supposed to go in at the beginning of the boil. I threw them in at 25 minutes into the boil. Any idea how this will mess with a big malty brew such as this?

Thanks!

It generally takes at least 45 minutes for complete isomerization of the alpha acids, so you're going to end up with a lot less hop bitterness. But with a brew that's already tipping the malty scale, I don't think it's going to have too much of a detrimental effect. What was your exact hop schedule?

I was supposed to add 1oz of hops at the beginning of the boil and I didn't add them until 25 minutes in. I decided to extend the boil to give the hops a complete 60 minute boil since the malt probably doesn't change even with a longer boil. That way, the hops gets boiled long enough.

Sounds like you are fine then. You did the right thing! If the hops got a 60 min boil, they'll isomerize. The extra boil shouldn't hurt the wort at all.

Back