Beer not carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deion528

Reaction score
Just did my first homebrew. All is wonderful, except the last 8 bottles, the don't appear to be carbonating. I ran 8 bottles short during bottling and had to wait two days until bottles arrived.
So the beer w/ priming sugar sat for 2 days in the secondary fermentor until I got a chance to bottle the last 8 bottles. Can I do anything to save the other 7 bottles?

Thanks

It would be pretty hard to calculate carbonation rates at this point. You could open them back up and add 1/3 to 1/2 t of dextrose/sugar per bottle. Just make sure everything is sanitized.

The little bit of sugar probably fermented out while you were waiting to bottle. Use carb tabs, it's probably the best way to go at this point.

Just did my first homebrew. All is wonderful, except the last 8 bottles, the don't appear to be carbonating. I ran 8 bottles short during bottling and had to wait two days until bottles arrived.
So the beer w/ priming sugar sat for 2 days in the secondary fermentor until I got a chance to bottle the last 8 bottles. Can I do anything to save the other 7 bottles?

Thanks

In the future, if that ever happens again, run out to the store and buy a six pack or two of some good micros, drink em quick, and re-use the bottles... A guy should never have to wait for bottles in the mail.. The horror!!!

PET's man PET's... just buy some water with screw top lids and pour it out and bottle into that. I don't know what kind of plastic bottles you have over the ditch but down under we get water in 2 liter pets. They are sterile already so you can bottle straight into em.
Just keep them out of the light as they are clear plastic.
If i have a brew that's a bit dodgey or i suspect may be overcarbed i bottle in plastic so they wont explode later.

Carb Drops - Open bottle, add drops, re-cap. They are a bit expensive for routine bottling, but a real life-saver for a few bottles.

Back