Real Ale in a MINI KEG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean from New Hampshire

Reaction score
Alright... I have 3 gallons of stout dying to get bottled. Its been more than a month since final gravity so I REALLY REALLY need to bottle it.

I have a busy job and haven't managed to find enough time to clean enough bottles and bottle it all. BUT, this past weekend I tried a stout on cask and it was AMAZING. Since I'm on a budget I haven't yet sprung for a mini keg and tap-a-draft system (which would be the fasted and easiest way to bottle it all)

Has any of you had the experience with doing this? I think I'm in love with cask ale!

Sean From NH

In addition to kegs and bottles I use minikegs also.

I was reading a recipe for a German Kellerbier yesterday. It said to keg the beer when it had reached 85% of its full attenuation to let is self-carbonate. :D

If you buy the kegs with the built in tap at the bottom of the keg (on the side) and use the bungs with the black rubber/red plastic key then you DO NOT need to purchase a tap.;)

Thats what I figured I should do. My stout is most likely DONE fermenting. I don't know if I could go through a gallon keg before it spoils, think I could purge with Nitro only so it doesn't spoil but doesn't carbonate?

Sean From NH

Back