Too much cinnamon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Hi,

I thought a little cinnamon would spice up my pale ale. But, because of the smell I'm getting from the Primary as well as sampling a dab that oozed out the airlock, I think I've over-cinnamoned (2 tsps).
Anyway to dilute slightly when I move to my secondary?

Thanks,
J

not withot diluting the entire brew. i don't think theres much you can do about that one except live and learn.

jaymack said:
Hi,

I thought a little cinnamon would spice up my pale ale. But, because of the smell I'm getting from the Primary as well as sampling a dab that oozed out the airlock, I think I've over-cinnamoned (2 tsps).
Anyway to dilute slightly when I move to my secondary?

Thanks,
J

If you think it's going to be a so bad that it's a drain-pour, you could quickly brew up another batch and mix the two at bottling time. (This is how Newcastle Brown is made, supposedly).

With cinnamon I'd probably try something a little richer and maltier than a pale ale: more along the lines of a winter warmer?

Cinnamon fades away after a few weeks. I've tried it in ciders and I'm always disapointed. Don't worry.

I've read up on mead that the spices such as allspice and cinnamon etc. mellow over time. You could let it mellow or just drink it on dates so you always have fresh breath after a brew :ban:

Back