Help with American Pale Ale Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byron

Reaction score
Hi All. This is my first post! Ok to the point:

I have started loving American style beers lately, and with none generally available to the public here in SA, I have decided to make my own. I am a beginner, so bear with me.

My idea is to take a kit blonde and then hop it to make it more American.

I have:

1 x Coopers Canadian Blonde kit
100 grams Cascade hop
50 grams Southern Brewer hop (South African bittering hop)
50 grams Saaz hop
1 x 11 gram sachet of US-05
A generic brew enhancer. (looks like it contains LDME and Glucose, but not sure)

I plan to make a hop tea for the Cascade, but not sure how much to use for that tea. I wouldn't mind using my other hops too, what would you suggest?

I am not going to boil the kit, just the hop tea.

Any advice?

If you really want to get that APA taste I would boil the whole batch for 30 minutes. Although it sounds like you have a lot of hops there. I would do a schedule something like this.

25 g southern brew @ 30
14 g cascade @ 15
14 g cascade @ 10
14 g cascade @ 5
14 g cascade @ flameout

Sorry for the odd measurements but I had to convert those into a number I would understand. This should yield a nice puckering pale ale. Save the rest and repeat again cascade is a perfect flavor for a pale ale.

Looks like a Kit and a Kilo. good choice on the hops, i have an APA that is quite good. ifyou are planning on doing a tea, which i wouldn't. but i would boil 1.5g (about 6L) water with 30g cascade (30min), 15g cascade (20min), 15g cascade (10min), 15g Sazz (10 min), remaining cascade (1min) or Dryhop with remaining cascade.

Don't ever boil pre-hopped extracts. It messes up the hop profile designed into it. You could even use 1.5lb of plain DME in the partial boil of 2.5-3 gallons for your hop additions. Add the LME as a late addition at flame out. Cover & steep a few minutes,since it'll still be 180F+,& pasteurization happens about 162F. That would give more flavor.

7 ounces seems like a lot of hops for an APA to me but not sure if hops give the same effects in hop tea as it would in a full boil.

Wow, thanks for all this great advice guys. Emmdub, I'm going to give that a try for my next batch, sounds like it'll be a real nice strong American ale. I only saw these posts when my worst was chilling in the ice bath, so i went with my gut and did a hop tea in the brew pot, boiled 20gram cascade for my15 minutes took off heat added enhancer and lme and stirred well. I left for my15 minutes and dumped in the ice bath. Ok I'm also planning on putting a 40 gram cascade/saaz dry hop once fg is reached. I know this is not the most exciting American ale, but after seeing some of the posts above i am certainly going to go the whole nine for the next batch. I must say the cascade hops lived up to their reputation in the boil, the whole house had this lovely citrus and grassy smell. I hope that comes through in the end product.

Sorry for the weird grammar etc above. My galaxy tab is still getting used to my style of writing.. or is it the other way around? Haha

I just wanted to let you guys know this: Here in Johannesburg its around 30 degrees Celsius at the moment. bit of a heat wave so I had to try my best to cool my wort. I used the wet towel with fan/condensation route and was surprised to see that it is keeping my wort around the 20/22 degree mark. amazing results IMHO. Oh and @Unionrdr, I have only used 20gram (just under 1oz) in the hop tea and now plan to use 40 gram (under 2oz) in the dry hop, so total will only be roughly 2.5 oz. And I've decided to only use the cascade in the dry hop, so no Saaz, just to keep it truly American.

Back