Dry hops in the carboy and in the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
So I have been playing with a Maris Otter & Cascade SMaSH IPA recipe for a while. I did a 2oz dry hop addition to the carboy 5 days ago, and pulled a sample tonight with the thief for it to be MEH!!! With hop aroma.... I started cold crashing this beer tonight and what are your opinions of adding dry hops to the keg in a fine mesh bag? I was thinking about another 2oz addition.

More hops is seldom a bad thing. Tie the bag to a string so you can remove it in about a week. If you're still unsatisfied, buy or make a randall. If you're still unsatisfied, start taking direct injections of isomerized hop extract.

I did this with an IPA. Added an oz to the secondary along with some oak chips. Then added another oz in the keg in a mesh hop bag. Turned out great. Just finished off the keg the other day. Hops still smelled good when I pulled them out to clean.

I frequently dry hop in serving kegs, using whole hops in muslin bags, with a piece of the wife's sterling silver to weight it down (the gravy ladle is perfect for the job ;) ). I leave them in until the keg kicks and have never detected any veggie or grassy notes...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back