Light chocolate beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyndham

Reaction score
Hi I have been brewing using grain and hops for the past couple of years with great success :) however I have always followed recipes and am thinking I might give my own a try, I want a summerier British ale with chocolate overtones, all chocolate ones seem to be dark or porters/stouts. Any one know if this idea would work or have suggestions? Thanks in advance:

14oz British chocolate malt, Steeped for 30min

6lb light DME
1oz challenger hops, boiled for 45

1oz WGV hops and tsp Irish moss, boiled for 13

1oz WGV hops, boil for 2

Cool and pitch yeast

Ops forgot to add 6oz flaked maize with the malt at start to try and lighten body and colour.

Don't have any advice for you other than to try posting in the recipe section. Might get a better response there.

Cheers.

I'd start with 2lbs of a very light grain like perhaps wheat. Really anything with a lovibond rating of under 5.

And I'd also add about a cup of unsweetened Hershey's cocoa 2 minutes before flameout.

all chocolate ones seem to be dark or porters/stouts.

14oz British chocolate malt, Steeped for 30min

FYI, 14oz of chocolate malt is going to make for a dark beer. If you're just looking for flavor and not color go with a little bit of a light crystal malt in the steep and use cocoa in the boil like slipgate said.

Try a little high grade cocoa powder in secondary (or later in primary). Did a Chocolate Stout like this a few years ago that was way yummy. Won't effect beer color as will darker grains.

Back