Input needed on Rye Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maltose

Reaction score
I'm developing a rye-inspired American Barleywine and would like some feedback on my recipe so far. I'd like the spice of the rye to come through but also leaving just a little residual sweetness and noticeable hop character to shine through. I haven't had any experience with Crystal Rye, but if I don't use it, I'd probably throw in some C-80. For lautering purposes, I set my max proportion of rye to 40%.

BATCH SIZE: 20 GALLONS
Target OG: 21 Plato
Target FG: 5.3 Plato
ABV: 8.9%
IBU: 59

34.7# 2-Row (55.1%)
21.9# Rye (34.8%)
3.2# Crystal Rye (5%)
2.5# Bonlander Munich (4%)
3# Rice Hulls
B-glucan @ 110
Mash @ 150
Mashout @ 168

3oz. Warrior (20.2AA) @ 90
0.6# Molasses @ 10
4oz. Cascade (7.8AA) @ Whirlpool

Wyeast 1272-American Ale II at around 64F

Even with only 40% rye that weight of grain will be difficult to lauter. I would invest in lots of rice hulls. Everything else looks tasty- I think the munich malt may get lost though. I'd up it or leave it out depending. Looks like a tasty beer for sure, though.

I would cut down the crystal rye. It has a rather pronounced licorice flavor that can be unleasant when overdone.

I'm wondering if the crystal rye is actually going to contribute to the overall concept of a Ryewine. Maybe just go with 5% C-80?

In the future I will use in stouts and porters where I think the flavor will be more appropriate. I used half a pound in a saison and it was very noticeable.

I think 5% Crystal Rye is not enough to give you any off flavors. You'll get color, body and a little flavor from it. Not sure you need 5% in a 1.088 beer but YMMV. I agree with previous post that the munich will get lost. OK to leave as is but you won't notice it. Maybe replace with some honey malt. You'll get some sweetness without the extra body. Also, .6# of molasses might not be enough for a big beer. Bump it to between 1-2#'s. Consider switching to something cleaner like sugar, corn sugar or turbinado. You might want another 10-20+ IBU's to balance all that malt a bit.

Poobah58 said:
I think 5% Crystal Rye is not enough to give you any off flavors. You'll get color, body and a little flavor from it. Not sure you need 5% in a 1.088 beer but YMMV. I agree with previous post that the munich will get lost. OK to leave as is but you won't notice it. Maybe replace with some honey malt. You'll get some sweetness without the extra body. Also, .6# of molasses might not be enough for a big beer. Bump it to between 1-2#'s. Consider switching to something cleaner like sugar, corn sugar or turbinado. You might want another 10-20+ IBU's to balance all that malt a bit.

Great suggestions, thanks!

Back