Closing the bottom port of a better bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlowefire

Reaction score
Looking to close off the bottom hole of my better bottle and not wanting to spend 45 for a racking adapter and spigot.

I'm thinking a #2 stopper would plug the hole but would pressure from say 3 gallons of cider pop it back out?
Has anyone gotten used PORTED BETTER BOTTLES and plugged that bottom hole with something?
Edit: fixed! Used mr beer spigot in later post.

Not the nicest looking of solutions, but if you could get a stopper that fits and wrap a couple lengths of duct tape around the bottle holding it in, that would work. Basically just something to keep it from pushing back out.

just an idea...
but you could get a solid stopper, put it in the bottle... put it into the port, grab some plyers and pull it as tight as you can, that way when there is outward pressure from the liquid being in there, it will keep pressure on it and push it outward, thus sealing it tight.

:EDIT:

could also try a stopper with the hole for an airlock, get a stainless steel bolt that is sized a bit over the hole, put the stopper in there tight, then put the bolt through. In theory, the bolt will make the rubber expand and sealing it tighter.
Or do the same thing with a stainless steel eye hook. thread it in, then you could put string around the whole thing sealing it up and putting constant inward pressure on the stopper.

Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to sell the Better-Bottle with the ported opening and buy an unported one. It's probably more trouble than it's worth to try and find a way to positively seal it.

I know it's kind of ridiculous that the racking adapter and high flow valve cost almost as much as the Better-Bottle itself, but it's worth every penny if you take advantage of the oxygen free racking that you can achieve with all the little Better-Bottle accessories.

See Here.

Rivenin said:
just an idea...
but you could get a solid stopper, put it in the bottle... put it into the port, grab some plyers and pull it as tight as you can, that way when there is outward pressure from the liquid being in there, it will keep pressure on it and push it outward, thus sealing it tight.

:EDIT:

could also try a stopper with the hole for an airlock, get a stainless steel bolt that is sized a bit over the hole, put the stopper in there tight, then put the bolt through. In theory, the bolt will make the rubber expand and sealing it tighter.
Or do the same thing with a stainless steel eye hook. thread it in, then you could put string around the whole thing sealing it up and putting constant inward pressure on the stopper.

I'm going to try this an the duct tape method. If you look at my previous posts you'll see I've warped two of y bottles. They don't look scratched an the beer I racked off one didn't have a plastic taste but it's the lack of headspace that concerns me. Thinking of using them for ciders now.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!!!

johnsma22 said:
Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to sell the Better-Bottle with the ported opening and buy an unported one. It's probably more trouble than it's worth to try and find a way to positively seal it.

I know it's kind of ridiculous that the racking adapter and high flow valve cost almost as much as the Better-Bottle itself, but it's worth every penny if you take advantage of the oxygen free racking that you can achieve with all the little Better-Bottle accessories.

See Here.

Oh I have two racking adapters. I'm "porting" them to my two new BBs

Also I'm a poster in that thread talking about how i love my racking adapters but probably won't get more.

Repurposed a locking spigot from my old mr beer kit. Used a cheap piece of PVC and hand strength to hold the nut while screwing it on. Perfect fit thus far.

image-566998854.jpg

I'd think if you put the stopper on the inside so the liquid would push on it making it tighter it wouldn't pop out if it was appropriately sized... now if you stuck the larger side on the outside of the bottle, the pressure might pop it off...

Back