Diet American Rice Beer (Blonde Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cormano

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
American Ale
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
light, sweet, hint of apricot
2 lbs Flaked Rice
1 lbs Caramel 10L

2 lbs Rice Syrup Solids
3 lbs Pilsen Light LME

.75 oz Liberty Hops (60 min)
.5 oz Liberty Hops (30 min)
.75 oz Liberty Hops (5 min)

I came up with this recipe to share with non craft beer appreciating family members around the holidays. I was expecting no flavor and was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it, so I thought I'd share. I've never used rice before this. I didn't really know anything about Liberty hops, either I just had the name of the beer picked out ahead of time and Liberty seemed to be right hop for the job. The beer ended up slightly sweet with a hint of apricot (where did that come from?). I brewed this for family Christmas get togethers, but I am now planning to do another batch over the Summer.

So… steep the flaked rice at about 160 degrees for an hour, add the Caramel grains for the last 30 minutes. Remove the grains, add the LME and bring to a boil, add the hops at 60, 30 and 5 minutes. After the boil, cool it down and you can sprinkle the dry yeast right on top. I only fermented for two weeks in the bucket and then bottled on 5 oz priming sugar. After another two or three weeks in the bottle, I was shocked find a beer that I actually enjoyed.

BeerLabelDietAmericanRiceBeer.jpg

Yes, I used Safale us-05 American ale yeast.

And thanks, I meant to post a picture of the beer, too but forgot. So here's one from tonight.
IMG_20120118_220308.jpg

im going the my brew store on mon getting 2 differant beers to make , i think im makeing this one

Back