American Porter Edmund Fitzgerald Clone (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have five flavors bottled right now. I had one last night and it was so good I had another tonight. People stop by occasionally to share a beer. Sometimes I just crack one. Even at three days in the bottle I'm really enjoying this stuff. It's my favorite of what I have right now.

I've been buying a lot of Summit "Great Northern Porter" at the store, so this almost as good as that. I'm really happy for a first try at the style.

just kegged my version of EF today. I force carbed it and am letting it sit for a couple of days at 25 PSI. I'm hoping it's ready for this upcoming Sunday which will be 3 weeks from brew date. I know, it needs more time for the best possible flavor but i'm impatient. i actually had a glass now and the flavor is good. forgot what EF specifically tastes like since it's been awhile since I had one but my version is fine. I just wish I had more patience....

Looking at this for my next 10 gallon batch - just one question: is Gordon Lightfoot's ballad on repeat mandatory during the brew? I sure hope so...

Brewed up a 2.5g batch of this a couple months back, bottle conditioned it in 750ml's.

The only thing I changed was to use Marris Otter as the base malt, and boy was I pleased with the decision to do so.

Just tonight I did a side by side with some friends of the real McCoy vs my batch with the MO.

I don't want to sound like a braggart, but mine was notably better. I really am starting to be convinced that higher quality base malts can contribute a huge difference in the end result.

Thanks for a great recipe.

Hey Ohiobrewtus -

Any idea what IBU calculation formula you had beersmith set to for the recipe as originally posted?

I am planning on brewing this on Sunday. Only changes will be Marris Otter base malt and Perle hops throughout, splitting a batch with Notty / S04.

Thanks!

Hey I am brewing this beer on Sunday or Tuesday not sure yet. How important is the 2 qt yeast starter. I am a beginner brewer who does all grain. I see many recipes call for it. I was wondering if you could shed some light on the topic thanks

I would only use a liquid yeast for a wheat beer or Belgian as I don't like messing with them.

The 2 qts are for a 11 gallon batch. If you are brewing half the recipe and want the liquid yeast, then use 1 qt.

Last time I made this I used S-05 dry yeast and it came out delicious.

Sent from my Android phone using Home Brew Talk

just brewed this today! 1st run on a new mashtun, ran too much sparge so i have more beer at a lower OG, but thats ok. still smells great!

I was drinking the original at Hoptacular 2011 tonight. Great stuff.

Sent from my Android phone using Home Brew Talk

Time to dig out the Gordon Lightfoot album and pour yourself one of these in memory of the 29 men lost on this day in 1975

so anyways....

Made a 5.5g batch of this again the other day.

I'd like to second my recommendation for subbing out the US Pale for Marris Otter on this. Where as it won't get you closer to an EF clone, it will get you closer to a much tastier porter, ( which is saying a lot, as EF is one of my favorite porters.),.

This last batch I FWH'ed with 1/4 oz of homegrown Magnums, subbed the Pale malt for MO, added 10oz's of Aromatic Malt, ( adjusted the IBU's to compensate), did a 120min mash, and used dry S-04. Primary @ 64f. Other than that, everything was as per the OG recipe.

This promises to be quite the beverage.

I'm brewing my fourth(? at least, I'm starting to lose count) batch of your recipe and the only issue I have with this beer is that it keeps me from making other porters and stouts!!!! Thanks for this awesome recipe. It's a crowd favorite and, even though the last batch of it was the newest keg in my fridge, it was the first one emptied.

BTW, once I forgot to buy Special B so had to try to correct for it. It still made a good porter but not nearly as smooth and complex.

Sorry it's been a while since I checked in on this thread, everyone. Glad to hear that this is being brewed, improved upon and enjoyed!

I'm on brew #2. I've got this on Nitrogen. It's a great beer. Definitely smooth as mentioned above. I think I may be drinking it a bit cold, but still good. I mixed this with my Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA for an interesting dark IPA. My EF came out strong at OSH 1.070 and Dogfish was weak at 1.072, so this mixed pretty evenly - not like a black and tan.

We tried this brewing this for the first time today.

We ended up a little higher on the specific gravity. It was our first time using new all grain equipment so we are still trying to figure out our stuff. We are looking forward to it.

Thanks for the recipe. :mug:

Brewed this a little while ago. Changed only a few things: Used carafa I had on hand instead of black patent, mashed at 158, ended up a bit high @1.019, but I intended for a higher fg, and pitched US-05.

Its still a little early, but it came out fantastic. I guess it can only get better as it ages too. No idea how close it is to being a clone, i'll have to get EF and see.

Anyway, thanks for the great recipe.

I brewed this yesterday, it was my 2nd time brewing all-grain and the 2nd time on my 3 keggle system. I was off somewhere in my calculations and i was short on wort going into the boil kettle so i sparged another couple gallons but was also having a hell of a time with stuck sparge. Still came up short of the 11 gallons i was supposed to get and my gravity is 1.062 .. tastes very sweet and is d a r K!

I brewed this recipe on December 8th and i kegged it on the 25th ... wholly nerfherders!!! I will brew this again, only 2 days of force carbing at 25 psi and this is one of the best beers i have made, .. but i may be drunk!! (ask me tomorrow)

Mark

Man this beer turned out good. Bought the supplies to get another batch going.

image-2819138277.jpg

Pardon this question as I have not read the entire thread, but what temp is best to ferment at? WLP007 calls for 65-70, I was thinking 64-66. Should I go higher?

I know this is an OLD thread (last reply over a year ago) but I thought I'd just mention I sent an email to Great Lakes explaining that I'm a home brewer and their product isn't available in Georgia where I live, and would they be kind enough to send me the recipe for 5 gallons? If they send it, I'll let you know. :)

Update: Sadly, they would not reveal anymore information than what they have printed online. :( Not even what yeast they use... *sigh*

Gonna brew this today. I have recently started back to brewing after a couple year hiatus.

this was always one of my favorites btw.

Problem is, i was unable to get WLP007. I made a 2L starter of WLP002. I am worried about it being too sweet since the 002 doesnt attenuate like the 007. My plan for this was to pitch the starter, let it ferment out a few days then add in a half packet of Nottingham to finish it off.

Will this work or just stick with the 002.

Looks like I'm late to this party but I just bottled this one today. It tasted pretty good flat. Can't wait to see how a few weeks treats it. I used MO as the base and substituted fuggles for the Willamette. Had a few of the real Edmunds in Chicago but can't get them here. Thanks for the recipe!

im liking the sounds of the OP's recipe. im wondering, should i go for adding some adjuncts to make it a pumpkin? maybe 2 cans of pureed libby's and some spices.. to the boil.
i find that robust porter makes a great base for pumpkin porter. great, smooth mouthfeel and no oats needed. thoughts?

decided against it. just brewed the clone, per recipe. it's a great beer, and a classic example of the perfect porter.
i mashed at 152 and ferm'd with 007 at 66. one week in secondary (keg) at room temp. i'll be sharing some tomorrow at ASH fall festival.

I'd say this one is a bit too roasty for something like pumpkin. I love the beer but would go with a milder porter for the pumpkin.

I'd say this one is a bit too roasty for something like pumpkin...

i agree. the special B in this clone is perfect for this style. just the right balance. i once made a dry stout w/ a pound of bk patent, it tasted like an ash tray. never again!
this beer is fine how it is. no need for adjuncts. i'll brew it again someday (although, may step up the mash and/or add oats) - just my curiosity to see the results.

Has anyone tried adding cacao nibs to the secondary for this recipe? I want a more chocolate flavor, but don't know if this would be a good recipe for that.

Has anyone tried adding cacao nibs to the secondary for this recipe? I want a more chocolate flavor, but don't know if this would be a good recipe for that.

I get a dry/dusty/dirty character from cacao nibs. If you're going to do it I'd drop a little bit of the higher killed stuff to maintain some balance. Or mash higher.

Just bought the grains for this recipe as my first BIAB venture. Been extract + steeping grains for years and finally bit the bullet.

IMAG0995.jpg

Latest posts

Back