Tripel cherry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metsbrew

Reaction score
Thinking about making a double batch of trippel and throwing cherries in the secondary of one. Anyone ever try this? Any recommendations?

Sounds like it would be good. The spiciness of the Belgian yeast would go well with cherries. I did cherries in a Belgian Strong Dark Ale before and liked it.

I used the Oregon canned cherries (I could get tart and sweet but a mix of the two would be best). About 1 can per gallon is about right, if you ask me but it's always better to use less and add more if need be than to have a beer with too much cherry for your personal taste.

Bourbon Barrel Quad from Boulevard (one of my favorite beers) uses cherries. Sounds like a pretty good idea.

I've done a cherry dubbel several times. The last time I used around 12lbs of cherries for a 5 gallon batch. I prefer to use mostly tart cherries.

I'm thinking about doing this too.... any result from OP? would be interested to see what kind of ingredients were used

Turned out awesome! Here is the recipe. It is for a double batch of tripel. Then we just put cherries in half.
25 lbs Belgian Pils
5 lbs Cane Sugar
2 lbs American Wheat
8 oz Belgian Aromatic

1.5 Saaz 60 mins
2.0 Tettnang 60 mins
1.0 Saaz 10 mins
1.0 Tettnang 10 mins

Pitched on 2 seperate trapest yeast cakes.
Added 4 lbs of cherries to one of the fermenters. I used 2 cans of oregon sweet and 2 cans of oregon tart. Not sure if this is correct, but I ran the cherries through the blender first. Next time I may cut back on cherries a tad. The beer actually turned out reddish purple.
If you have any questions let me know. Everyone seems to love both the cherry and plain tripel.

Were they the large or small cans of cherries? With a trippel being light in color, the cherries will turn it purple. I did a cherry wit that is a lovely reddish purple color. People love the purple head haha

I used 1 small can per gallon for good results. I think they are 14.4 oz.

I've done a cherry dubbel several times. The last time I used around 12lbs of cherries for a 5 gallon batch. I prefer to use mostly tart cherries.

that sounds good... i'd be concerned about color in a tripel.

Back