Bannans in my Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DandyBrewer

Reaction score
I just did an English style pale ale a couple days ago. I've read a little about Esters and how they can produce fruity aromas in the off gassing during the fermentation. What the heck is going on? The gas coming out of the airlock smells like the inside of a shipping container full of ripe bananas. Can someone give me a little more in depth idea of what esters are? Does that aroma go away?

What yeast and temp are you fermenting at? Some yeasts will also impart a banana ester to the beer if you ferment a little warmer. I made an oatmeal stout with WLP002 this winter. I could not keep my normal fermenting area (garage fridge) warm enough so I fermented in an upstairs bathroom. At warmer serving temps, this beer definitely has a banana ester to it.

I actually like that banana/juicy-fruit taste.. but if it is there in the taste of the beer as opposed to just the smell, it will go away during conditioning... unfortunately..:ban:

RDWHAHB
:mug:

Fermenting in the lower part of the suggested fermentation will usually result in a more crisp, ester free beer. Although esters are an important flavor in some styles, they are undesirable in most.

Back