Kegerator Puzzle/Problem with beer taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatdane2

Reaction score
Need some help! I just started home brewing and bought a used kegerator. I don't have a good batch ready to keg yet so I put a keg of Shiner in the kegerator and it tastes off. Yeasty, plastic tasting, kind of sweet, maybe metallic, lots of head, almost wild beer...pours too fast but the main problem is taste. Regulator on CO2 says 12 psi or so. I've cleaned the beer line, air line, coupler, faucet...twice, and then replaced the beer line. I don't think it's because it's not clean.

The kegerator is a Sanyo, 3-4 years old. It had been sitting in a small closet for a few months, off, when I bought it.

Questions:

1) Is the bad taste from using the CO2 from the previous owner's tank...I have not idea how old it is, and it was in some closet for a long time and who knows before that. Can CO2 make beer taste bad? I cleaned the air hose but not until after I tapped the keg and put the CO2 into it. This is about the only component I haven't cleaned/replaced.

2) The regulator stays at 10-15psi, the screw to control pressure only screws 1/4 turn either way...not sure if this is normal, or if something could be weird with the regulator.

3) What else could be making the beer taste like that?

Thanks for the help guys! Disappointing to buy a beer cooler and keg and not be able to drink it.

Need some help! I just started home brewing and bought a used kegerator. I don't have a good batch ready to keg yet so I put a keg of Shiner in the kegerator and it tastes off. Yeasty, plastic tasting, kind of sweet, maybe metallic, lots of head, almost wild beer...pours too fast but the main problem is taste. Regulator on CO2 says 12 psi or so. I've cleaned the beer line, air line, coupler, faucet...twice, and then replaced the beer line. I don't think it's because it's not clean.

The kegerator is a Sanyo, 3-4 years old. It had been sitting in a small closet for a few months, off, when I bought it.

Questions:

1) Is the bad taste from using the CO2 from the previous owner's tank...I have not idea how old it is, and it was in some closet for a long time and who knows before that. Can CO2 make beer taste bad? I cleaned the air hose but not until after I tapped the keg and put the CO2 into it. This is about the only component I haven't cleaned/replaced.

2) The regulator stays at 10-15psi, the screw to control pressure only screws 1/4 turn either way...not sure if this is normal, or if something could be weird with the regulator.

3) What else could be making the beer taste like that?

Thanks for the help guys! Disappointing to buy a beer cooler and keg and not be able to drink it.
Just out of curiosity, do you have access to a regular party tap? If so, hook it up but don't use it to pump air into the keg. Dispense a beer or two, you may coincidentally have a bad keg, and this would at least rule out a problem with the keggerator. Also, any rubber gaskets in the beer path could impart off flavors if exposed to nastiness in the past. Also, you could flush your beer lines with very hot water and PBW to remove any trace chemicals from manufacturing.

Back