Fridge/Freezer for fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdnoona

Reaction score
I have a vertically split fridge/freezer in my basement, that is used basically for beer and hops storage. Is there any reason I can't use this with a Johnson Controls A19 as a fermentation chamber for lagers?

Is there any more stress to the fridge or freezer compressor than normal use? And will it get too warm to store my hops in the freezer?

I hope this works because it's kind of what I plan on doing to my fridge this weekend. It's not split though, fridge on bottom, freezer on top, but I plan to add aJ ohnson Control to the fridge to finally control my fermentation temps.

It will work as it's just an external control (circumventing the internal thermostat), I'm just concerned about how it will effect the freezer really. Will I have to relocate 10# of hops whenever I want to brew a lager? I sure hope not.

If you are using it to control the refrigerated portion, don't count on it to keep anything in the freezer below freezing. Unless you have a very expensive fridge with dual compressors for the fridge and freezer, it will cool only to the setpoint you have it at. The freezer might be a few degrees colder, but I wouldn't count on it.

Yup, what RivverCityBrewer said. I just resurrected a spare I had in the shed for 3 years or so. The fan that circulates the air died, so the freezer was fine, but fridge section was warm. $65 later a new fan and its a happy camper. Now to build the temp control. The fridge air gets its cold from the freezer air.

(though dual compressor fridges aren't that expensive, mine wasn't more then $600 I think)

i cant wait to do mine. I got a free fridge... it was free for a reason. piece of **** was dead. I spent like three hours cleaning it ( you have NO clue how nasty this thing was - picture dead maggots EVERYWHERE and food left in it still).

i am actively tracking one down to hopefully pick up this weekend. Wish me luck. I have been stalking the HELL out of craigslist.

Back