yeast harvest from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayabusa

Reaction score
I made a batch that came out perfect for me - i am going to now make a 10-15 gal batch but didn't want to spend the money on WLP005 (I know it's not alot, not the point) which is what i used the first time.

I am going to make a DME starter with a gravity of about 1.030 and jut slurp up some yeast from inside the cornie and get my starter going. I have not harvested yeast before... can I assume this will work just as good as if i had washed the cake and kept some yeast? I see no reasons why it wouldn't.

I made a batch that came out perfect for me - i am going to now make a 10-15 gal batch but didn't want to spend the money on WLP005 (I know it's not alot, not the point) which is what i used the first time.

I am going to make a DME starter with a gravity of about 1.030 and jut slurp up some yeast from inside the cornie and get my starter going. I have not harvested yeast before... can I assume this will work just as good as if i had washed the cake and kept some yeast? I see no reasons why it wouldn't.

I've heard that you don't necessarily want to re-use the yeast from either the secondary or the keg. That yeast would be the cells that didn't drop out, like they should have, when the fermentation was complete. I believe I heard it on one of the White Labs Sunday Session shows on The Brewing Network. They said that re-using from the primary is the best way to go. Anything else could present issues.

If you've got some time, this podcast will give you some answers straight from the owner of White Labs.

The Brewing Network.com - :

There are various opinions on this topic, but I would tend to trust information directly from the owner of the yeast company.

Back