American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just called the LHBS and they don't have any of Black Barley or Flake Barley that this recipe calls for.

What do you think I can substitute? He mentioned oatmeal for the Flaked Barley, but I am not interested in anything like an oatmeal stout, I am wondering if only 1/2 pound will effect it that much.

I liked this recipe because of the cocoa and roast tastes as Soulive said.

With that in mind, what can I use to replace these ingredients that contribute to these tastes?

Need to replace

1oz of black roasted barley
8oz of flaked barley

P.S. ordering online isn't much of an option as I plan to brew tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Well I made it without to much fuss. just pitched the yeast. It is warm here today 88 degrees. I have to put a wet shirt on it to get the temp down. It is at 77 degrees , but is in a room that is 67 degrees, so hopefully it will go down a bit more.

The exciting thing is that my OG was 1.078 :) I got my 7.5 boil wort from 8.8 gallons of water or 85% efficiency :)

Holy **** ... this stuff is good. Popped my first bottle open last night after only a week and a half in the bottle. Best beer I've made so far no doubt.

Thanks for the awesome recipe! This is definately gonna be brewed more than a few times.

Congrats. I'm glad you like it. Now we need pics! :mug:

2984824397_19a76ee04c.jpg

can i use carapils instead of the malto in the same ratio?
Malto Dextrin adds mouth feel without adding any other flavor or character to the beer. Carapils may add some caramel or toffee aromas to the beer that are not present in the current recipe.

Hate to be a drag on this thread, but any chance at getting an extract conversion of this? I've been wanting to I move up to PM, and it's about time too, so that could work as well. Thanks. This looks great, just what I'm looking for.

Hate to be a drag on this thread, but any chance at getting an extract conversion of this? I've been wanting to I move up to PM, and it's about time too, so that could work as well. Thanks. This looks great, just what I'm looking for.

Sure. Get about 9 lbs. of Extra Pale LME and steep the rest of the grains at 155 degrees for about 15 minutes in about 2 gallons of water. Top off to 7 gallons with RO water and add the LME and bring to a boil. Add the Maltro Dextrin in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Hop additions stay the same.

Thinking about doing a 10 gallon batch of this wonderful beer. Tell me if this looks right. For now I just doubled everything. Didn't know if I should double the Malto-Dextrine or not.

22.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.65 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.24 %
2.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.24 %
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3.62 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.81 %
0.12 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.43 %

2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 26.6 IBU
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.2 IBU

1.00 lb Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale (each 5 gallon fermentor)

According to beersmith the beer profile matches the 5 gallon batch except the bitterness is off by .1 IBU. :D

This would be my first 10 gallon batch so I just wanted to make sure I don't screw up 10 gallons of it.

Thanks.

I transferred this to a keg last night to make room in the primary. It was in the primary for 23 days and had a gravity of 1.021. It started out at 1.078, but shouldn't my final gravity be a little lower? Beersmith has it at 1.018.

I just closed up the keg and put it in the back room with the fermentors hoping that it will attenuate a little more. Should I put in a little more nottingham or anything else?

As a side note, I put some in a growler with some coffee ground to experiment and it is creating carbonation there, but the keg is not, I pull on the release valve and get nothing. There is a little more than normal head room in the keg so I may just need to let it be to build up some pressure if the keg is totally sealed for sure.

I was unable to get northern brewer hops localy so I had to substitute them. I got an ounce of chinook instead, and, since they are higher AA, I decided to omit the cascade. Will that be a problem?

Here's my slight variation that I brewed last saturday:

10# 2 Row
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Crystal 40
1# Flaked Barley
4 oz. Black Patent

8 oz. malto dextrin @ 20
1 oz galena @ 60

Windsor yeast

Mashed at 151F
OG = 1.066

I also added about a half pound of light DME I had lying around when I added the malto dextrin.

I just took a reading and it's at 1.030, and here hasn't been any activity since Monday.

Any suggestions? I've read that windsor can be a very low attenuating strain, and that some people will pitch a different yeast after a week to finish it off.

Thanks for another great recipe Ed!

Ed, Question about this brew. I just hooked it up to the gas this past saturday and drew my first sip last night. It was very, very sweet. Unpleasantly so. The only change I had made was to use MO as my base. Also, my hydrometer broke that day so I didn't get an OG reading. But my 4 brews leading up to it had gotten 92% eff, and I had forgotten to reset BeerSmith from 75%, so I think I ended up with an OG around 1.085. My FG was 1.021 and I'm fairly certain I didn't have a stuck fermentation.
SO... back to my question (yes, I did have one). Is this supposed to be a sweet porter? I've never used malto dextrine before and am wondering if the sweetness could be a result of that. I realise that with a FG of 1.021 it'll be sweet regardless, but this, as I said, is just not pleasant. I'm hoping some extra vols will ease that up somewhat, but if you have any ideas I'd love to hear em. Thanks!

EDIT: I don't know if it's an aging thing too, but it's been 9 weeks since brewday.

Ed, Question about this brew. I just hooked it up to the gas this past saturday and drew my first sip last night. It was very, very sweet. Unpleasantly so. The only change I had made was to use MO as my base. Also, my hydrometer broke that day so I didn't get an OG reading. But my 4 brews leading up to it had gotten 92% eff, and I had forgotten to reset BeerSmith from 75%, so I think I ended up with an OG around 1.085. My FG was 1.021 and I'm fairly certain I didn't have a stuck fermentation.
SO... back to my question (yes, I did have one). Is this supposed to be a sweet porter? I've never used malto dextrine before and am wondering if the sweetness could be a result of that. I realise that with a FG of 1.021 it'll be sweet regardless, but this, as I said, is just not pleasant. I'm hoping some extra vols will ease that up somewhat, but if you have any ideas I'd love to hear em. Thanks!

EDIT: I don't know if it's an aging thing too, but it's been 9 weeks since brewday.

1.085????? Cheese und Krackers! That's over 10 points too high. The finishing gravity should be around 1.020, but that is due to the malto-dextrin. Nottingham will ferment it out dry and the malto dextrin adds a bit of mouthfeel and chewiness to it.

My porter is not sweet. It has a hint of roastiness and chocolate, but not cloyingly sweet. I would give it time.

I could be wrong about my OG, but at 75% attenuation that would be about the ballpark. Yeah, I'm not getting any of that roasty chocolate flavor. Just sweet. I'll wait it out. Which is too bad since I had planned on bringing it to our club's holiday party on the 13th.

Ed - after all the rave reviews of your recipe i've decide to do a partial mash version (unfortunately Im not quite equipped for AG yet)

I love sam adam's honey porter so if I were to add honey to this recipe; how much would I add and when would I add it?

I love sam adam's honey porter so if I were to add honey to this recipe; how much would I add and when would I add it?

I've never made one before, but googling honey porter recipes show folks adding 1.5 to 2.5 pounds of honey at 10 to 25 minutes left in the boil.

I used 05, for lack of Notty, on my first batch on this and it won an award. So it won't turn out bad. When I brewed it a second time I used Nottingham.

My robust porter has been primed with a packet of priming sugar. Bottled about 2.5 weeks ago, and i just opened a bottle to sample. It has very little carbonation, no head. Anyone god ideas?

I'm trying a glass of this right now...MMMMMMM! This was brewed 4 weeks ago, its only been in the keg for a few days and its might fine! I did make one change, I added another 1/4 oz of Cascade at 30 minutes, I was trying to get close to the hop flavor of a Sierra Nevada Porter, and it's pretty close. This is a keeper..

Well, I rolled the bottles around to kick the sediment back up. That did the trick in carbonating.

This is a damn good beer.

Ed has some pretty kickass recipes, i love them. I am bringing a sixer of haus pale and and robust porter to a homebrew club meeting tomorrow.

Hey guys-

I bought all the stuff to try this brew today.. My first attempt at anything other than a pale/IPA/amber ale... It's for my wife.. she likes porters.. Anyway, I didnt see anything at the LHBS that said "Black Roasted Barley".. What they did have was something called "Domestic Black Barley" (500L).. It says on the package that its the dominant flavor or dry stouts, and that is adds roastiness, acrid dry flavor and lowers mash ph.. It also says that the grain will impart it's character without mashing and to use a grain steeping bag...

Two questions-
#1 is this the same as black roasted barley?

#2- Should I mash this??

Thanks guys

11# 2 Row
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Crystal 40
4 oz. Black Patent
1 oz. Black Roasted Barley
8 oz. Flaked Barley

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes

Add 8 oz. of Malto Dextrin to boil at 20 minutes

Hops.

1 oz. Northern Brewer at 60 min.
0.5 oz Cascade at 60 min.

Hydrate a package of Nottingham.

Ferment for 2 weeks, then rack to keg or secondary.

BCBPorter.jpg

I haven't went all grain yet, but getting ready. One thing I'd like to know about these recipes is how much it makes. I just plain don't understand how someone would know what amount of water to mash in with, and how much to batch sparge with etc. Please help me understand!!!!!

I haven't went all grain yet, but getting ready. One thing I'd like to know about these recipes is how much it makes. I just plain don't understand how someone would know what amount of water to mash in with, and how much to batch sparge with etc. Please help me understand!!!!!

Biggest suggestion I can give is to try out beersmith software and keep reading on this forum.

To address your questions though, the general rule of thumb for most cases would be to mash with 1.25 quarts of water to 1LB of grain. So if you have a 10LB grain bill, you would mash with 12.5 quarts.

For batch sparging, I drain the mash/tun before putting sparge water in so my dead space is already taken up from the initial amount. So I take the amount I got from the initial run and subtract that from my pre-boil volume.

For example if I need 7.5 gallons to boil and I got 2 gallons from my first runnings, I would batch sparge with 2.25G twice to get the remaining 5.5G needed. This way I maximize the gravity without leaving too much liquid in the mash/tun.

Back