Plumb Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
I have done some research about using plums but had a question that I was curious to get your thoughts. It seems like the go to grain when it comes to fruit beers is wheat. I was curious, has anyone ever done fruit beer using biscuit malt instead? I want to do a nice crisp pale summer ale with of course the fruit notes of the plums but with little bread, pie crust note to it. I am going to use some 20L caramel as well maybe a little 120L. I may throw in a couple lbs. of fresh apricot as well. Anyways, I want to bypass the wheat...

Sorry about the title...I meant Plum Ale not Plumb...stupid typing on phone...

I like the idea of moving away from wheat and leaning towards a MO or biscuit malt. I grew up in Louisiana and cobbler was a huge part of our lives. Sounds delicious. I might try something similar soon.

I like the idea of moving away from wheat and leaning towards a MO or biscuit malt. I grew up in Louisiana and cobbler was a huge part of our lives. Sounds delicious. I might try something similar soon.

Yea I think that's what I am going to do. I think I may use a combination of plums and apricots, maybe like 75/25. We'll see what happens. I am going to run with European Ale Yeast and most likely just use some aroma hops for slight bittering, probably challenger.

Just a thought here, maybe a touch of 5 Spice or cinnamon might set off the fruit. Also i think i'm going to do the same late addition aroma hop, i'm thinking Willamette. That's it you have me convinced :D its going on the short list. Peach cobbler ale!

Just a thought here, maybe a touch of 5 Spice or cinnamon might set off the fruit. Also i think i'm going to do the same late addition aroma hop, i'm thinking Willamette. That's it you have me convinced :D its going on the short list. Peach cobbler ale!

You probably already know this but, be careful with the spice...it's way too wasy to overdue it with spices.

Back