Do you wear shorts when flying??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was talking with someone that said he would never wear shorts when flying. He said it's rude for the people next to you. Usually when I fly it's for business, so I'm dressed up. Maybe I'll wear jeans if I don't have a meeting.. I can't remember what I wear when I fly with my family to Disney or something. I'm flying to Germany soon and probably will wear jeans.. What do you guys do? Shorts, Sweats or jeans???

If it wasnt for the fact that you can never depend on the climate control to be consistant, I wouldn't have a problem wearing shorts myself, and it certainly doesnt bother me if others do. I do remember making that mistake once on a long flight and freezing my tail off.

It's the people that fly in their PJ's that make me wonder. The ones that advertise "Juicy" on their butt's are especially classy.

Depends on the climate I'm landing in. Germany I wore pants and a t shirt. Disney I wear shorts and a t shirt. Flying from Disney back ti Philly in winter pants a long sleeve and carry on a goodie or jacket.

Shorts all the time AND commando at that! TMI?

Well... I do only fly every 4 or 5 years though....

I fly a lot and always wear long pants. Normally khakis but sometimes sweats. But I don't care what other people wear.

I'm waiting to board a flight now and travel quite frequently for work. I usually. Either travel in business attire or jeans. I like to always have a nice sweater zip up or a coat to take off or put on because the temperature varies a lot

I stopped worrying about being rude when they started making me take my shoes off in security. Now I do what is easiest for me--clothing with no metal, only plastic. Cell phone, no keys, no metal coins. Sandals that are easy to remove, t-shirt. I may stow a jacket in my carry-on if I'm going somewhere cold. If I want to look professional when I get where I'm going, I'll grab my luggage, go to the bathroom and change. Sorry if anyone finds that rude, but I find it rude when other people hold up the security line with shoes they can't get off and nice clothing that goes beep when they walk through the metal detector.

I'm 6'0", 320 lbs with a 54" chest, and built for cold weather. In other words, I'm a big guy. The person next to me on the plane isn't going to have time to worry about me wearing shorts, they're going to be more pissed about my shoulders encroaching on their seat.

I wear jeans about 340 days of the year, but I'll usually grab a pair of shorts (jean or cargo) to fly. Like has been said, temperature is variable on an airliner, but it has NEVER been too cold for me. It's always been between "almost comfortable" and "too damn hot". Cram me in a pressurized metal tube for 3 hours with 173 of my closest friends, and I'm going to need all of the cooling I can get.

So I guess that's MY question.. what's ruder to the person next to me? Me wearing shorts, or me sweating on them for the entire flight?

I'm 6'0", 320 lbs with a 54" chest, and built for cold weather. In other words, I'm a big guy. The person next to me on the plane isn't going to have time to worry about me wearing shorts, they're going to be more pissed about my shoulders encroaching on their seat.

I wear jeans about 340 days of the year, but I'll usually grab a pair of shorts (jean or cargo) to fly. Like has been said, temperature is variable on an airliner, but it has NEVER been too cold for me. It's always been between "almost comfortable" and "too damn hot". Cram me in a pressurized metal tube for 3 hours with 173 of my closest friends, and I'm going to need all of the cooling I can get.

So I guess that's MY question.. what's ruder to the person next to me? Me wearing shorts, or me sweating on them for the entire flight?

That's funny. I would say sweating would be worse. I don't no what the hell the guy was saying. I asked him what the big deal was, but he didn't really say. Maybe it's having a man's leg touch him..Who knows...

Ha, I know what that's like. Every time I walk down the aisle on a plane, people get that 'deer in the headlights' look as I approach. I know they are thinking, "man, I hope that guy is not sitting next to me!"

At 6'7 and 250lbs, my legs and feet cannot actually fit into the space in front of the seat, my shoulders take up a seat and a half, and my head is almost guaranteed to obscure the TV of the next four people sitting behind me. Basically, if I am sitting next to you on a flight, it's not going to be comfortable for both of us. And because of that, I always wear pants.

Ha, I know what that's like. Every time I walk down the aisle on a plane, people get that 'deer in the headlights' look as I approach. I know they are thinking, "man, I hope that guy is not sitting next to me!"

At 6'7 and 250lbs, my legs and feet cannot actually fit into the space in front of the seat, my shoulders take up a seat and a half, and my head is almost guaranteed to obscure the TV of the next four people sitting behind me. Basically, if I am sitting next to you on a flight, it's not going to be comfortable for both of us. And because of that, I always wear pants.

You got me beat, but at 5'11 215 I have a middle seat.. I tried to upgrade, but It would've cost an extra 2000. Can you believe that ****..

Like has been said, temperature is variable on an airliner, but it has NEVER been too cold for me. It's always been between "almost comfortable" and "too damn hot".

I have this problem too. I've worn shorts on planes. But I find that my knee's get chafed from rubbing the back of the seat in front of me. So now I'll wear khakis or a suit if I'm not flying to somewhere tropical for vacation.

I also get annoyed at the people who show up in their pajamas or really flimsy sweats (with PINK or JUICY) written across the bottom [the guys who do it creep me out]). Do they really want to risk being pulled out of an airline disaster in their gaudy sweats?

Well, I fly exclusively in shorts because like many other guys I get hot. Being the fraternity gentleman that I am, my shorts tend to lean towards the shorter side(7-9" inseam) and are always a bright color that attracts women's eyes. But I've never received complaints. Women love man thigh.

I'm flying to Belgium next week for work, and I'm bringing my family with me. I just got an email saying that my wife and my 27-pound 2-year-old son got upgraded to first class, but I'm stuck in the back of the tin can with the hoi polloi. I'm thinking of wearing shorts in protest.

I'm no little guy (6'3", 300#, can benchpress the moon, etc) and I do everything in my power to take up as little shoulder/leg room as physically possible. I've got pretty good spatial awareness but sadly, not everyone is like that. I remember flying to San Diego next to a surfer-type character in shorts and I swear he could not control his leg bordering my leg. When I would manage to fall asleep, his leg somehow kept brushing up against my manly leg hairs and waking me up. This happened at least 6 times during the flight.

I wear long pants now. Not because of me, but because rubbing calve hairs with another guy for 6 hours is just plain disconcerting.

Do they really want to risk being pulled out of an airline disaster in their gaudy sweats?

This too. My family doesn't understand why I insist on flying in either jeans, or a good pair of cargo shorts (basically, if I can't put a belt on it, I don't wear it), and absolutely REFUSE to fly in sandals.

My day job, I'm an AutoCAD technician. But I'm also a firefighter. If the SHTF, I'm going to be wearing something that if I survive the wreck, I can help others. Walking off the wing and through a debris field is going to SUCK, but it's going to suck even more in open toe sandals with no ankle support.

I'm no little guy (6'3", 300#, can benchpress the moon, etc) and I do everything in my power to take up as little shoulder/leg room as physically possible. I've got pretty good spatial awareness but sadly, not everyone is like that.
I think it's a trait of guys like you and me. We're constantly aware of just how much space we're taking up, and if we're possibly infringing on the 'personal bubble' of someone else. "Smaller" people aren't constantly brushing door frames or cramming into compact and midsize cars.

T

I think it's a trait of guys like you and me. We're constantly aware of just how much space we're taking up, and if we're possibly infringing on the 'personal bubble' of someone else. "Smaller" people aren't constantly brushing door frames or cramming into compact and midsize cars.

Glad I'm not the only one. At 6' 6 1/2'' and 284 pounds I'm always paying attention to my presence in the world. Trying not to block people/etc. It bugs the hell out of me when people aren't aware of their impact on personal space. I hate being in large, moving crowds, like art fairs for example, where people stop and start and waddle, changing their path without being aware of the million other folks in the same crowd.

Yesterday leaving work barely three feet out the front door there were these two women just stopped talking or something, standing right in the path of everyone trying to leave. I ended up running into the guy I was walking out with just trying to dodge around them.

Yesterday leaving work barely three feet out the front door there were these two women just stopped talking or something, standing right in the path of everyone trying to leave. I ended up running into the guy I was walking out with just trying to dodge around them.

See, if that were me, I'd have plowed through between them. And if they bitched about it, I'd have given thema what's for about blocking the common path of travel.

I refuse to go to malls because of this very thing.

As for the shorts thing, as long as I am comfortable and not exposing any private parts, I really don't care what anyone thinks about my attire.

Hooray for all of us big guys that are aware of our size!.... I'm 6'4" 220....I refuse to put my seat back unless I am in first class because I know how much it sucks when the 5'4" person in front of me does it. And no, I am not switching seats with you because you want to sit next to your wife, mother, boyfriend, etc. I buy a damn isle seat becasue that's where I need to sit so I can stretch my legs!

6'3" @ 270. I hate flying too. Every once in a while you get really unlucky and hit the trifecta of big dudes in one row.

I always go for the window seats though. I have a strong bladder, and I prefer to have the option to lean my head up against the wall/window.

Glad I'm not the only one. At 6' 6 1/2'' and 284 pounds I'm always paying attention to my presence in the world. Trying not to block people/etc. It bugs the hell out of me when people aren't aware of their impact on personal space. I hate being in large, moving crowds, like art fairs for example, where people stop and start and waddle, changing their path without being aware of the million other folks in the same crowd.

Most people can't get away with adding the 1/2" and not get made fun of for it. I have a feeling that's not a problem for you though:ban:.

6'3" @ 270. I hate flying too. Every once in a while you get really unlucky and hit the trifecta of big dudes in one row.

I always go for the window seats though. I have a strong bladder, and I prefer to have the option to lean my head up against the wall/window.
Exit row, man. Exit row. It's a beautiful thing.

Bigger guys unite. 6'2" 230lbs. These days my flights are long 10+ hours getting back state side, if the outside temp where landing is above 60*F I am in shorts. It is the most comfortable for me. For what I pay for tickets, I am going to be comfortable and could care less what the guy next to me thinks.

I only fly in December, from Rhode Island to Florida and back. So unless I change on the airplane shorts have not been an option.

As to others it depends on how ugly or if they have skin diseases!

I've taken that option whenever I have the opportunity....and sat knee to knee with some cute airhostesses because of it.
I'm trying to decide if you're saying this is a good thing or not.

Knee to knee with someone else...not good?

Knee to knee with eye candy...Good?

TyTanium said:
Please cite source.

image-2764510327.jpg

Pretty cut and dry!

Latest posts

Back