Can't stop flow from the tap on my Corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxnew40

Reaction score
I started brewing again after about a 10 year break.

I just kegged my first new batch into a ball lock corny keg and it help pressure just fine for carbonating.

The problem I ran into was that as soon as I hooked up a tap to the output, beer started to flow (with the tap in the off position) I managed to get to stop flowing at the tap and then it started leaking beer from the output connection.
The pressure is set to about 9 lbs.

I tried a picnic tap and a nice metal "through the door" tap and I had the same problems.

Would this be an issue with the poppit on the output? If not what do I need to change or replace to fix it?

-Max

I am confused.

Is the leak at the disconnect (the part that fits over the ball lock post) or is it at the faucet (metal or picnic) itself?

If the leak is at the post/disconnect point then it's a gasket in the disconnect or on teh post itself.

If it is the from teh faucet, then you have bad gaskets in your faucets or they are not assembled properly.

The only way it could be a poppet issue is; if when you take the disconnect off of the post and it leaks or, if the disconnect is not properly locking in place due to a improperly fit poppet (that could cause a leak at the disconnect/post connection).

If it's coming out from the output connection after you manage to stop the tap, it sounds more like a pressure issue (since it's only coming out of the output connection when the easier escape route - the faucet - is sealed off). I had an issue several months back after I dropped my nitrogen regulator - the next time I plugged it in, and set to the pressure I *thought* was 30 psi and opened the tap, it would not shut off. I had to tear off the body connect. I later discovered that the gauge was completely off, and was actually several dozen PSI higher than it was reporting (such that the regulator in the tap faucet could not stop the flow once it was opened).

Point being, it may be your regulator. How foamy is the beer coming out, and how quickly is it flowing? Other way to test is to try bleeding a little off the keg and seeing how hard/fast CO2 comes out of the keg.

Not too foamy and it isn't gushing from the tab, but is started flowing with the tap off. I am going to replace the ring on that output post first.

leaking beer from the output connection

I'd replace all of the o-rings on the kegs.
It is also quite likely that your party tap has a rotted seal. Not much you can do about that.
The door tap might just need tightening.

Back