a starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends how much yeast you have.You need a starter if you have an insufficent amount of yeast per gravity. Otherwise you dont need one.More to it than that though.

The reason I ask is I am trying to decide what to buy a stir starter or a new kettle or a pump

Can you do a full boil now? If no, get the kettle. Do you brew a lot of high gravity beers? If yes, get a stir plate and at least a 2 litter flask.

Hope that helps.

cswest said:
Can you do a full boil now? If no, get the kettle. Do you brew a lot of high gravity beers? If yes, get a stir plate and at least a 2 litter flask.

Hope that helps.

That should be a 2 liter flask.

I can now do full boils I just have a problem of maintaining temp in my mash tun so that is why I was thinking of a new kettle so I can direct fire my mash to maintain temp

I agree with cswest, mostly. The pump is last on the priority list.

If you are doing full boils with your current pot, then go with the stir plate.

You'll notice that I said "mostly". We didn't discuss finances at all. You can build a stir plate way cheaper than you can buy a pot. I built mine for less than $10 with parts I had laying around. I only ended up buying some magnets and a potentiometer.

See this thread My Stir Plate . . . cheap and easy build.

I use an 8 cup (2L) pyrex measuring cup that I already had instead of buying a flask.

Of course, you can make a keggle out of a 1/2 bbl keg for about $30 too.

So now I am going to build a stir plate but I still have a gift certificate to northern brewer to use any suggestions. The gift certificate is for 75 dollars

get the stir plate. then get a reliable method of temp control. those things are going to make a big difference in your beer.

what can I do for a reliable method of temp control for my mash. I currently mash in a 5 gallon round Rubbermaid cooler. I also have no method of automation on my system as I am new to this hobby of addiction, and my system is kind of ghetto.

Are you preheating your tun? I am using a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and on my last, with 45 degrees in my garage I lost at most 1 degree in 1 hour. I did cover it with blankets. You should not need heating on your mash tun.

the reason i made starters is 1 just look at how many threads start with
"it's been 2 days and no activity" 2 it's easy I use a one gallon
growler and no stir plate just swirl it every so often. Now I am a
new to all this just brewed my 2nd batch yesterday ,but I pitched
at 4:30pm'ish and the carboy is going crazy with foam this morning
the first batch was going in under 4 hours. I don't have to be hit with a brick

I say ferm temp control over stir plate. U can shake a starter several times or build a plate for $10. But fermentation temp controller is going to cost u.

You should be able to make fine starters with out needing a stir plate. I use a 1 gal jug, an airlock, and a whisk for aeration. I make a the starter the day before and pitch the entire volume into my wort. Using this method I've reduced my lag time and cleaned up some of the off flavors in my beer.

I think the best use of your gift card would be to buy the kettle and then find a good procedure for making staters.

I would not worry about the heat loss, you could preheat and/or put a blanket over it to reduce the loss as previously mentioned but the conversion in done in the first 15-30 min. I used to do the starter shake method with good results but just got a stir plate for around $40. This is the third year I've done lagers in the winter and the lag time between pitch and visible signs of fermentation dropped from 24-48 hours to under 12. Pitching plenty of yeast and temp control is where I think you should be putting your money.

I second making a stir plate. I used the power supply from a dead computer and it cost me like 5$ total.

I use a keg for a kettle. Cheap.

I mash with a bag. Cheap, quick and easy to control temps.

Making a temp control foam box has really made my beer a lot better.

Back