Delayed fermentation activity. Due to poorly mixed wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel82

Reaction score
Still a newbie. I got through the extract brewing process fine, but afterwards I was concerned about cooling the wort to 50 degrees (brewing a lager) and forgot to mix the wort with the water that brings it up to 5 gallons together well. I didn't notice till I went to take a gravity reading and it was reading well low of my estimated OG. I have been told its hard to due that due to extract kits being made for that OG and that made me realize I forgot to mix and aerate my wort.

Will the under mixed wort affect the lag time on my fermentation? I made a starter (first time) and read that speeds up the lag time of fermentation. I pitched my starter at the same or a little colder than the temp of the wort which was 50 degrees.

Its only been 16 hours so no need to panic. I'm just realizing a mistake and wondering the consequences.

Under-mixing shouldn't cause any problems. Not oxygenating will certainly increase your lag time though. It's good that you made a starter. I wouldn't worry about it if you pitched the appropriate amount of healthy yeast.

The last batch I pitched at 52 degrees (on ale yeast, but one that likes low 60s) took 48+ hours before it showed activity and longer before airlock activity. Patience is a virtue. They are doing quiet yeastie things in the dark...

Not oxygenating will certainly increase your lag time though. It's good that you made a starter..

Not to split hairs, but under-oxygenating actually decreases lag time. The yeast reproduce until they run out of oxygen. Fermentation begins when oxygen ends (sort of).:off:

haha well as long as the wort will mix itself in with the water eventually I'm happy. I can wait for the eventual fermentation. Thanks for your help guys.

Not to split hairs, but under-oxygenating actually decreases lag time. The yeast reproduce until they run out of oxygen. Fermentation begins when oxygen ends (sort of).:off:

Yes and no.

Not enough oxygen can lead to extremely long lag time as reproduction is slower and can lead to a stalled fermentation. They NEED that reproducing time.

On the other hand, over oxygenating has it's own issues. (Meaning adding to much pure O2).

Also, stressing the yeast can influence flavor, as can under pitching. (Trappist beers for example, are well oxygenated & under pitched).

Danstar used to have a pretty good FAQ on all this.

Back