In need of a crowd pleaser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewalk02

Reaction score
I was recently asked to brew up about 10 gallons of "good" beer for my friends wedding. My idea of "good" beer might not be what a crowd of Bud Light drinkers think is good beer though, so I need a recipe that will please the crowd. Let me know what you think, right now I am set up to brew about 10 gallons at a time.

I recently scored a hit with this one:

West Coast Pilsner

All my BMC drinking friends have loved it so far. It was an extract batch, but could easily be converted to All-Grain.

I plan on trying this similar All Grain version very soon.
--------------------------------------
5 gal batch (double for 10 gal)

Grains:
6lb 2-row
1lb Honey Malt
1lb Carapils

Hops:
.25 oz Chinook (60min)
.5 oz Cascade (20min)
.5oz Cascade (flameout)

Safelager-23 yeast

Target OG at 75% eff. - 1.041
Expected Final Gravity - 1.011
Expected ABV - 4.0%
Expected IBU - 15
--------------------------------------

Basically the BMC crowd is going to like anything with a low gravity, golden color, and lightly hopped.

Assuming the wedding is sometime in the summer or early fall, nothing beats a wheat beer when the weather's hot. It shouldn't be too "out there" for most people either.

5 gal batch

Grains:
4lb 2-row
4lb Pale Wheat
12oz Munich
8oz Caravienna
1.5lb Flaked Rye

Hops:
.5 oz Sterling (60min)
.5 oz Sterlnng (30min)
.5 oz Sterling (10min)
.5 oz Stering (5min)
.5 oz Cascade (flameout)

Wyeast American Wheat 1010

Target OG at 70% eff. - 1.048
Expected Final Gravity - 1.012
Expected IBU - 28

Protein Rest: 133F for 30min
Sacchrafication Rest: 153F for 60 min

Ferment @ 65F

I think two 5 gallon batches are in order. Mix it up. For instance, 5 gal of stout or porter, and 5 gal of pale. This will please a larger portion of the crowd and allow for black and tans (always a crowd pleaser). Or... make 10 gallons on imperial IPA and call me afterwards to help dispose of the leftovers:tank:

I find that an original bitter will often woo BMC drinkers and please even the largest EAC. Thats what I brewed for my wedding rehearsal and it was a hit. Here's that recipe (10g):

14# English Pale
1.5# Crystal 90
0.5# Special Roast 50

mash at 152

75 minute boil and three additions of EKG

2.4 oz at 60m
1.0 oz at 30m
1.0 oz at flameout

I used some Irish Moss too

I pitched with Wyeast 1968 and was very happy with the results.

Maybe that would be a good one. :mug:

I had a request for a "coors lite-type beer" for my sister's wedding. Folks were raving about the kolsch I delivered.

I was thinking Biermuncher's Litehaus wheat....I haven't made it yet, but if it is like Boulevard Wheat like he says (which I am sure it is) that will be a big hit. We had a 1/2 bbl of Boulevard Wheat at my wedding and it went a lot faster than the Bud Light.

+1 for Edworts' Haus Pale Ale, it is a very nice, mellow pale ale. Appeals to many different levels of beer drinker. Also, I would think that a Kolsch would be very appropriate.

Cheers

Here is the list for my sisters wedding, 10 gallons each.

Oatmeal Stout

Kolsch

Octoberfest

American Pale Ale

Something for everyone!!

I wouldn't bother. I'm brewing for a wedding next month and I'm brewing for ME ,selfish I know, and I don't care 1 little bit. I'm brewing a pale ale. a oatmeal ale, a sort of New Castle Brown Ale and some Apfelwein.

And I'm also taking a bunch of commercial brew for the BMC crowd let em drink the stuff they like. BMC has brewing swill down to a science why try to compete with that crap?

my $0.02.

I haven't been brewing for very long but by far this hefeweizen was the biggest crowd pleaser:
(for 5 gallon batch size)
5.3lbs Wheat
2.4lbs Pils
2.4lbs Munich
4oz Crystal

0.75oz tettnanger 60 minute boil

White labs hefeweizen IV (WLP380)

bulk primed with Briess pilsen DME 400grams for 5 gallons

I used strong bottles to allow for the higher carbonation. It fermented at around 68 - 70 F so the yeast created more fruity flavors than the spicy phenolic wheat beer flavor. It came out a little maltier than I expected but the higher carbonation helped balance it, over all it was very good and every one who tried loved it. the people who tasted it included a lot of bud lite drinkers and people who just drink the cheapest beer they can find.

I'm looking to do an all-grain recipe, but hey extract would be easier....anything will work. I have the equipment for both types so bring on the recipes!

I've had quite a few BMC drinkers raving about a blonde ale I have made, I've also helped some new brewers in the club with an extract version of it because they fell in love with it. It came out a bit higher gravity (1.063) last time I made it because I had an unexpectedly high (81% efficiency), so lowering the amount of 2-row would be fine. It should be around 1.058 OG with about 25 IBU.

"Hey Blondie!"

Grain:

11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
.50 lbs. Honey Malt
.50 lbs. Crystal 10 or 20L

Hops:

0.75 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.6 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.1 20 min.
0.30 oz. Cascade Whole 5.60 5 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.1 1 min.

White Labs WLP051 California Ale V

Mash at 152f

LBrewski said:
I've had quite a few BMC drinkers raving about a blonde ale I have made, I've also helped some new brewers in the club with an extract version of it because they fell in love with it. It came out a bit higher gravity (1.063) last time I made it because I had an unexpectedly high (81% efficiency), so lowering the amount of 2-row would be fine. It should be around 1.058 OG with about 25 IBU.

"Hey Blondie!"

Grain:

11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
.50 lbs. Honey Malt
.50 lbs. Crystal 10 or 20L

Hops:

0.75 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.6 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.1 20 min.
0.30 oz. Cascade Whole 5.60 5 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.1 1 min.

White Labs WLP051 California Ale V

Mash at 152f
that looks like a Jamill recipe?? cant go wrong there
JJ

Jaybird said:
that looks like a Jamill recipe?? cant go wrong there
JJ

Yes, though I added the Cascade. His blonde recipe in Brewing Classic Styles is different - no honey malt, WLP001 yeast; a friend brews it and it's great as well.

Back