60 mins or 90 mins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
i plan on brewing an IPA that should have a OG of 1.070, should i boil for 60 mins or 90 mins?

I've red a few articles about increased boil times, however they seem to all be related to brewing lagers. Even though im just looking for an answer to my original question, if anyone has info on when and why you should boil longer than 60 mins i would appreciate it. Thanks!

its just to push off DMS, which occurs when you use particular types of malt. It gives a creamed corn taste. Since ur going gluten free u should be fine with 60, but 90 won't hurt. Just use a little more propane and take a little longer.

If you do decide to go with 90 minutes and ur going with a full boil instead of partial, just make sure have enough water to account for the additional 1/2 hour of boil off. Otherwise ur post-boil OG will be higher.

The longer boil time is also to extract additional bitterness from the hops. It also has the effect of producing more kettle caramelization of the wort, which can slightly reduce fermentability, darken the wort a little, and raise final gravity. It's good for some things, but it's not necessary. Just make sure that you calculate your water quantity and hop schedule according to your brew time.

Read a little in Noonan's lager book last night. It said if your doing infusion mash you should boil 15 minutes before main bittering hop addition. Reason being that proteins that have not yet broken down will stick to hop resin and settle robbing IBU.

Back