New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zombie Dust clone. Very happy with the turnout.

ZD clone.jpg

My just tapped Vienna/Saaz SMaSH using Wyeast 1272 - the Vienna is faint so I may get away with calling it a blonde ale...

image-55078821.jpg

Really pleased with this.

ForumRunner_20130529_235603.png

We'll see if this works (first pic attempt), 2 row and cascade SMaSH on the left and Vienna and Hallertau SMaSH on the right. Both turned out very tasty and clear.

From yesterday afternoon, I call it IBM, an IPA fermented with Brett (brux trois) and hopped exclusively with Mosaic (hopburst at 20 and 7, dry hopped).

It's hazy from all the hops, as a good IPA should be, and has a fantastic fruity aroma and dry finish that accents the bitterness, but in a good way.

I look forward to drinking this over the summer.

IMAG0471-1.jpg

An IPA fermented with brett? This goes against all conventional logic. Please elaborate on this beer. How long did you age this? Did you ferment it out with ale yeast then add Brett or is this 100% Brett?

An IPA fermented with brett? This goes against all conventional logic. Please elaborate on this beer. How long did you age this? Did you ferment it out with ale yeast then add Brett or is this 100% Brett?

100% brett brux trois, which provides a fairly clean fermentation with some fruity esters. There are number of examples out there of beers like this, and the esters from the yeast go really well with the fruity Mosaic hops (I've seen other examples with Citra as well). My initial thought was to do this with Citra (that one I would have called IPABC) but Citra hops were $1 more per oz at my LHBS (and lower AA%) and the smell from the "starter" (really a 1-gallon batch of a low-hopped wheat extract ale) suggested the Mosaic might work better. I also thought of doing a combo of Citra and Mosaic (tentatively named ICBM) but didn't want to spend too much time playing with the hop schedule

I don't have my notes with me and can't remember if it was 3 or 4 weeks in the fermenter, but after about 2 or 3 weeks I split my dry hops in half, added one portion and then added the second 5 days later. I then cold-crashed for about 48 hours before bottling.

I usually do all grain, but this was an extract, hopbursted recipe with a short 20-minute boil. I went for the low end of the IPA scale for gravity as I knew the brett would ferment this quite dry and didn't want too strong of a beer–

3.25 gallon batch (~3.5 gallon boil)

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.008 (85% apparent attenuation)
ABV: ~6.3%
IBU: ~55 (Tinseth)

3 lbs. X-Lite DME
1 lb. Wheat DME
1 lb. American C60 steeped in 1 gallon of water for 1 hour at 165.

2/3 oz. Mosaic hops (12.5% AA) for 20 min.
1 1/3 oz. Mosaic hops (12.5% AA) for 7 min.
1/2 oz. Mosaic hops (12.5% AA) dry-hopped for 10 days
1/2 oz. Mosaic hops (12.5% AA) dry-hopped for 5 days (overlapping with last 5 days of first dry-hop)

Fermented at room temperature (~75F)

Cool thanks lightning, sounds like a delicious beer. Ill have to keep that one one mind. I imagine you have to treat it like any other sour and buy new fermenters, plastic and separate the kegs?

First AG batch ever! Saison with 2-row, rye, wheat, groats, and caramelized sugar fermented with wlp568. Worked out great for a totally spontaneous unplanned and undersupplied first-ever all grain batch. super tasty.

(and off to the side is a glass of bin no.27 Fonseca Porto) just for the kicker

IMG_0038 copy.jpg

Cool thanks lightning, sounds like a delicious beer. Ill have to keep that one one mind. I imagine you have to treat it like any other sour and buy new fermenters, plastic and separate the kegs?

It's not really a sour, there's no bacteria involved, just a domesticated version of a "wild" yeast, and I've had no issues with my equipment since this beer. I also don't believe in dumping equipment after any sour beer, with proper cleaning and sanitizing procedures, you should be fine.

I just cleaned and sanitized after I emptied my fermenter and then, before using my fermenter, I sanitized again, but I normally do all that any way. The sanitizer should kill the Brett just as it kills any wild yeast that may otherwise find its way into your fermenter.

image-945837044.jpg

This is my fresh out of the keg Wheat IPA. Bittered with Centennial and "hopbursted" with Amarillo and Zythos. Absolutely fantastic.

I like the Paulaner glass too! looks good. Gotta get some pics of my brews in my new libby glasses from Aldi's I picked up yesterday...

This is my oak aged bourbon at 6 months. It is already very nice but I will be saving this for Xmas

image-475959549.jpg

Sorry about the bad phone pic

Thanks unionrdr, it's one of many styles and brands in my collection. And I'm always interested in trading and obtaining more, especially from all those eclectic US micros and regionals...

image-4101385750.jpg

1996 Harley Electraglide Classic for two up comfort, 2007 Victory Hammer for one up and neck twisting, 2000 Miata MX 5 for rain and arthritis lol! Too many rainy days and kicks in the saddle? And miss my Eddie Lawson Superbike already ;-(. But hey! My stale Altbier smells nice on the nightstand! Sorry for the crappy iPad bedside pic!

Doh Hel Brewings Festa Dubbel Trubbel Fritter Pale Ale - finally something that SWSBO will quaff! Turned out nice out of the keg at 5.2% ABV and went from primary to secondary to keg in only 8 days! Pushing it out at around 12 psi with a slight chill haze at 38F but very refreshing! Now if only the fookin rain would stop!

image-4194211581.jpg

dryboroughbrewing said:
Tasted a sample from my latest IIPA post first round dry hop. Mmmm Simcoe. Now I'm having a Black Butte Porter.

Pics or it didn't happen...

My hefeweizen from last summer. Probably should have finished this by now but I found a few leftover bottles.

image-2730477033.jpg

Back