Smoking grain - how long to wait to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampdawg

Reaction score
I a planning to smoke some grain tomorrow. I have always used pre-smoked malt before this so it is a new experience.

After smoking the malt, how long do I need to let it sit before brewing with it? I was hoping to brew on Friday.

I think you should be good if you use it within a day or so. Any longer and you may want to freeze it in a container. How long are you going to smoke it for? Make sure not to get too hot for too long or you will scorch the grain and not smoke it..

Edit : Found This link that may help you..

I've done it a day before and it's been fine. Much longer than that and you'll start losing smoke character unless you seal it up tight,

One recommendation, consider cold smoking. I have the Pro-Q cold smoke generator and it works awesome. A guy I work with made something similar with one of those mesh splatter screens that go over a fry pan. You bend it into an "M" shape and fill it with sawdust (available at some BBQ shops, Cabelas, etc) in the v-shaped portion of the "M". Light one end and it should slowly smolder for at least a few hours. Since you get smoke without heat, you don't have to.worry about darkening your grain.

I am pretty much cold smoking. I am smoking a turkey and I connected a dryer tube to the smokestack and connected it to a box where the grain is being smoked.

swampdawg said:
I am pretty much cold smoking. I am smoking a turkey and I connected a dryer tube to the smokestack and connected it to a box where the grain is being smoked.

Nice, two birds with one stone. I'm just about to go put my turkey breast in the smoker right now.

They say you're supposed to "wait a week with the grain stored in a paper bag" but I've smoked and/or home roasted grain on the same day I've used it and it's been fine. No acridness or anything like they say you'll get.

Back