my mom died Christmas Eve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
please post I know this looks like a car crash thread where you just slowly pass by and look but don't say anything.

not begging for pity just wanted to touch base with you my brothers and sisters brew beer.
it may also explain some erratic posts over the last year or so by me.

I think that I am celebrating it tonight whilst I brew an epic IPA, rather than the self destructive celebration that I might have,come Christmas Eve again.

or at least I hope so

just waiting for my work to chill so that I can pitch it and be done with the *****.

cheers.

Sorry to hear that man. Don't do anything dumb, well dumber than normal.

And I don't know what you're talking about. Erratic posts???

You aren't ****ing with us, are you?

Aw cheezy, let it go. My mom died in mexico a few years ago. I made the emergency flight down there and found her stretched out in a stinky block building in San Filepe. I hired a boat and spread her ashes in the sea of cortez. It happens and it sucks and I think about her all the time. Meh, that's just how it is.

Everyone in the world will have this happen.

Dude, my Mom passed last December 12.. She went in to the hospital just before Thanksgiving diagnosed initially with pneumonia. Turned out arthritis had somehow gotten into her lungs and the rest was pretty much history. Sudden and unexpected, she had just turned 70, but thank the Almighty she did not suffer.

As I'm sure you've figured out by now there's really nothing for it, you just take it day by day until time numbs the grief. It's coming back fresh now with the change of seasons and the onset of the holidays, for me as well, but you just have to believe she's in a better place now making arrangements for your eventual arrival. That's really all we have for comfort.

My thoughts are with you Cheezy, thanks for having the nuts to post this.. When I read it I felt as if you were speaking directly to me and it really struck deep with many of my feelings of late. Hang in there man, it sucks for sure but death is just another part of life if you really think about it.

Anything I can do or any way I can help just LMK.

Here's to our Moms... :mug:

let me just say that some of the expected posters are here and I thank you;)

I will do nothing stupid and the IPA should end up epic;)

almost sorry that I posted this

headbanger said:
Dude, my Mom passed last December 12.. She went in to the hospital just before Thanksgiving diagnosed initially with pneumonia. Turned out arthritis had somehow gotten into her lungs and the rest was pretty much history. Sudden and unexpected, she had just turned 70, but thank the Almighty she did not suffer.

As I'm sure you've figured out by now there's really nothing for it, you just take it day by day until time numbs the grief. It's coming back fresh now with the change of seasons and the onset of the holidays, for me as well, but you just have to believe she's in a better place now making arrangements for your eventual arrival. That's really all we have for comfort.

My thoughts are with you Cheezy, thanks for having the nuts to post this.. When I read it I felt as if you were speaking directly to me and it really struck deep with many of my feelings of late. Hang in there man, it sucks for sure but death is just another part of life if you really think about it.

Anything I can do or any way I can help just LMK.

Here's to our Moms... :mug:

:mug:

cheezydemon3 said:
almost sorry that I posted this

I have this vision of you as someone that lives in the moment and has no regrets. Don't screw that up.

I'm sorry about your mom. I still have both my parents, but for how long? My dad dodged a bullet with his heart this year. My mom had a patch of melanoma cut off her back. I worry a lot more about my kids than my parents, but death is coming and there's just no stopping it. And if there was, I would be talking about that in one of your other threads. As a premium member you have the right to delete the thread, but why not just let it be?

bottlebomber said:
I have this vision of you as someone that lives in the moment and has no regrets. Don't screw that up.

I'm sorry about your mom. I still have both my parents, but for how long? My dad dodged a bullet with his heart this year. My mom had a patch of melanoma cut off her back. I worry a lot more about my kids than my parents, but death is coming and there's just no stopping it. And if there was, I would be talking about that in one of your other threads. As a premium member you have the right to delete the thread, but why not just let it be?

you are one of the ones I knew I would post....thank you;)

I'm very sorry cheezy. My swmbo's mom died and it really put her in a bad place for along time. I hope you get through it. We are here for you if you need it.

You can go two ways with this,

1.Spend every Christmas Eve for the rest of your life feeling the loss of your Mom.
2.Celebrate her life and all the great memories and enjoy the Holidays.

I'm sorry for your loss, I've watched 3/4 of my parents/in laws die. Christmas Eve is Dec 24th.. One of every 365 people die on that date.

So now that you are coming to terms with your loss, and will soon be back on your meds, I only have one question.

Can I have some?

Sorry to hear that. Just lost my dad in August. It was the first really close family loss for me.

I lost my Dad to cancer's scourge in 98, a retired prison warden he was a hard man but as a loving father he made me what I am today.. a good man...

My heart is with both you and Cheezy. :mug:

I think that I am celebrating it tonight whilst I brew an epic IPA, rather than the self destructive celebration that I might have,come Christmas Eve again.

Condolences man, I feel for you. Though I haven't lost a parent yet, too many friends have passed too soon. I don't know how it is for you, but for me, something as innocent as an aroma or a simple turn of phrase can stir up all kinds of memories.

I used to rock climb a lot. It wasn't danger or thrill seeking that kept me on the cliff faces. Instead, I found that while clinging to a rock 40+ ft in the air, I didn't have time to stress about much more then where to put my hands or feet next. Everything else reduces to background noise. For me, brewing can be similar in that when I focus on the process, even a process I am comfortable with, each step becomes a critical path to the top. The things that stressed me are still there but so is the knowledge that I can create something awesome.

I'm sure that the epic IPA you've brewed will hit the mark, and I sincerely hope that you find peace along the way.

It sucks to lose a loved one.

You're always going to remember her on the day. Especially since it's already such a marked day. There's nothing wrong with remembering.

The thing I tell myself is, life is for the living. We do the dead no justice living any other way.

What, you don't like the kinder gentler Cheezy?

I really don't follow on what that's supposed to mean and I really don't care. All I'll say is if your'e lurking around here looking for opportunities to post smart-assed comments then this thread is probably not the place to do it. Some, including me, would consider it poor taste, to say the least, considering the OP lost his mother recently and has posted what should be considered a memorial thread here for his late mother. I really don't see how downplaying this man's emotions to me could make you feel better about yourself in any way, or why you would even go there, but just in case you're from another planet i'll go ahead and tell you that we all have feelings here on earth whether we like to admit it or not. Even us ********.

I really don't follow on what that's supposed to mean and I really don't care. All I'll say is if your'e lurking around here looking for opportunities to post smart-assed comments then this thread is probably not the place to do it. Some, including me, would consider it poor taste, to say the least, considering the OP lost his mother recently and has posted what should be considered a memorial thread here for his late mother. I really don't see how downplaying this man's emotions to me could make you feel better about yourself in any way, or why you would even go there, but just in case you're from another planet i'll go ahead and tell you that we all have feelings here on earth whether we like to admit it or not. Even us ********.

I can assure you that 1: bottlebomber is from an another planet, 2: he is a kind person that means no harm, ever, and 3: cheezy knows that.

Now, there are things you don't know, and that's OK and normal of course, but rest assured that BB is not going to offend cheeze. I'm really sorry you saw it that way and I see how that happened and I think it's great that you stepped in the way you did, but it's all good here. Really. Kudo's to you for doing so.

For most people this would be true but cheezy is far from normal and I can almost assure you that it is stuff like that that he wants to see.

Who knows maybe I'm wrong though and am just being a heartless *******.

I can assure you that 1: bottlebomber is from an another planet, 2: he is a kind person that means no harm, ever, and 3: cheezy knows that.

Now, there are things you don't know, and that's OK and normal of course, but rest assured that BB is not going to offend cheeze. I'm really sorry you saw it that way and I see how that happened and I think it's great that you stepped in the way you did, but it's all good here. Really. Kudo's to you for doing so.

Yeah, what he said. :p

Despite our regular disagreements, I still want to have a beer with you someday, cheesy. :mug:

Just let me open the bottle, pick the glass, and pour the beer. ;)

Cheezy sorry to hear about your mom. The first year is the hardest. I lost both my parents when they were pretty young and within two years of each other. Nobody can take the pain away for you but try to focus on the good times, and memories. I promise you it does hurt less as time passes on. Best wishes my friend.

Very sorry to hear about your mom. It is always hard to loose the ones we love.

I don't know your usual interwebz demeanor but I for one can say that for someone who has been dealing with such personal loss, your lighthearted and often humorous posts are a joy to read.

headbanger said:
My heart is with both you and Cheezy. :mug:
It was like he was taking about this Cheezy and the other one, the one we usually deal with.
passedpawn said:
I'm really sorry you saw it that way

Me too! Damn! I almost went the day without pissing someone off :mad:

Enough said, sorry if I rashed anybody (BB) but it kind of struck a nerve for me but I'm quite sure at this point that I misunderstood BB's original comment.

headbanger said:
Enough said, sorry if I rashed anybody (BB) but it kind of struck a nerve for me but I'm quite sure at this point that I misunderstood BB's original comment.

No worries. Mind you, I wouldn't have come into the thread with the comment I made but I'm from the Robin Williams school of emotional healing so I often will try to lighten the mood if it's not entirely inappropriate. Sometimes it is and I stick my foot in my mouth but I'm always ready to try to make it right, and only 70% of HBT members think I'm a prick so I'm doing a damn sight better than Cheezy is.

No worries. Mind you, I wouldn't have come into the thread with the comment I made but I'm from the Robin Williams school of emotional healing so I often will try to lighten the mood if it's not entirely inappropriate. Sometimes it is and I stick my foot in my mouth but I'm always ready to try to make it right, and only 70% of HBT members think I'm a prick so I'm doing a damn sight better than Cheezy is.

Consider me in the 30% as far as you're concerned....

Matter if fact, Cheezy is pretty much at family status at this point by default, whether he wants to be or not, so I don't see any reason not to include you too.

headbanger said:
Consider me in the 30% as far as you're concerned....

Matter if fact, Cheezy is pretty much at family status at this point by default, whether he wants to be or not, so I don't see any reason not to include you too.

Isn't it amazing how you can remember exactly what was happening when someone you love passes away?

I was working on my '69 Mustang at the FIL's house when my wife came out to give me the telephone and she said, "You're dad had a heart attack. And he died." I can still hear her voice and the whole scene in my mind. Dad was helping friends at a restaurant down the road and just fell over.

When my grandma passed away she had an emergency and was taken to the hospital. I got a call while working in a factory. By the time I got to my cousin's house in the same small town, I got the call she passed away.

Sitting at the table with my wife and mom playing games. Got the call from dad. Grandpa had passed away. This was not unexpected. The memory still remains.

The truth is, you will never forget when they pass away. But you also can't forget who they were when they were alive. What they taught you. The good times you had. You notice things about them that maybe got passed down to you.

It's up to you to decide if you want to dwell on the passing, or celebrate the living.

Only 70%?

My thoughts are with you Cheezy, and I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard it is for your brain to be associating all the things that are supposed to conjure images of joy with pain. My grandfather lost his mother on Thankgiving before he was 16, and I only found out that that was why he was always so quiet on thanksgiving just recently. You and I might be in the same boat shortly... Grandma (the mother figure in my life) doesnt have long left, and chances are she will be gone by Christmas...

An epic IPA to celebrate a life instead of (and in addition to) mourning a death.

That sounds exactly like the Cheezy enigma we've come to know. A conundrum wrapped in an enigma speared by a unicorn horn.

Back